Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going feral hog hunting in southern Ohio here in the next few weeks. Its going to be an all weekend camp/hunt trip. I have r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going feral hog hunting in southern Ohio here in the next few weeks. Its going to be an all weekend camp/hunt trip. I have r

I'm going feral hog hunting in southern Ohio here in the next few weeks. Its going to be an all weekend camp/hunt trip. I have recently got my 22-250 shooting REALLY good. I was thinking about taking it, and trying to get inside 100 yards and taking one well placed vital shot. I do have a 12 Gage slug gun i can take that I know will work but I think that will be over kill. I don't want to be over gunned but at the same time I don't want to be under gunned either. Any thoughts about the 22-250?

I think a well placed shot will take down a hog with a 22-250.How many hogs are there in southern ohio? I live in ohio and didnt think there were that many hogs in southern ohio.

Comment

You didn't say what bullet you are using,even so 22 250 is on the light side.If you only take perfect shots and use a heavy constructed bullet like nos. 60 gr. partitons it may work ok.It's better to have over kill.JMO

Comment

I don't think the 22-250 is enough gun and I own two! For a small to decent sized sow, maybe. All of my hog hunting is at less than 100 yards, most of it is up close and personal. You do not want to be undergunned trying to finish off a wounded boar. My hog medicine is a 30-06 with open sights using a Barnes 180 grain TSX! Take both use the slug gun as back-up.

Comment

You are never overgunned for animals that can bite you.
          Pigs have a heavy shield of gristle that bullets have to get through before they can reach the vitals. I would shoot the slug gun.

Comment

The .22-250 is too light for an animal that might weigh upwards of 500 pounds wearing an armor plate on its shoulder.
            They are not known to present a broadside shot in a National Geographic pose.
            I would not consider hunting hogs with anything less than a .30-30.

Comment

If the 250 is all the "rifle" you have, go for it! I'd prefer something between .30-30 and '06. You need some weight to punch through their "shield".
              I'd take the slugster over the 250.

Comment

From my experience I do not think that there is such a thing as overkill for feral hogs. However, there is lots of room for too little gun. The fore quarters of feral hogs are armored in layers of fat and cartelige that can cause small fast bullets to not penetrate into the vitals, thus limiting the hunter to going away quartering shots. In my opinion calibers for feral hogs should begin with 3.

Comment

I'd use the 12 ga., but don't discount the .22-250 for a shot just under the ear and if there's a chance for long range shots, that might be a good option. I've killed a couple of big hogs with a .22 lr with that shot (it was the only gun I had in the Jeep). You don't want to be just knocking dust off an animal that has tusks and is willing to use them.

Comment

We have a pretty decent population In Gallia County, also Vinton county has a really good population to. The 22-250 is the only rifle I have to take out. I have found some 60 grain solid copper bonded bullets. I dont think I will run into a hogzilla around here. The average pig ive heard in these parts is under 200lbs. My buddy going with me will have a 20 gage. I have a 20 gage barrel that I can swap out with my 22-250 barrel. I may just throw that in my pack as well. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

I have seen Hogs Killed with .22Lr and some Run-off HIT with a 30-06! Best bet take your 20Ga..Open Choke and some Rem-CopperSolid slugs..along with your .22-250 by NO means will you be under-guned, the best eating Hogs are in the 100# to 175# range. Best of luck....
                      Safe Hunting

Comment

I'm talking Russian boars here... not farm pigs. I have personally witnessed a .357 Mag from 20 yards being stopped dead with less than 1/8 inch of penetration in the chest of a 350 pound charging boar. Their shield, built up over thousands of years of evolution to protect them from razor sharp tuskers, is very similar to three inch thick leather. The guide on that trip said it was the norm and that he had witnessed .270 Win 130g bullets stopped the same way. I believe him.

If you are walking rather than up in a tree, the boar may be charging you when you see it. They do that for no good reason... not just when they are wounded. I have been charged by three boars over 300 pounds in unprovoked attacks. They accellerate faster than a lion and reach top speeds equivalant to a deer. You won't find many well placed shots in these circumstances.

Their skull is thick and severely slanted back from their snout. Attempted brain shots often richochet in a frontal attack without doing leathal damage. In one attack, I hit a 325 pounder right between the eyes at 20 yards with a .44 Mag 240g jacketed hollow point. It did just that.

If I am stalking porkers, I don't use a .44 Mag anymore and I definitely would NEVER use a 22-250. If you have a shot at one posing at 100 yards broadside, it would be fine... just don't expect to see shots like that. If the boar is not charging you, it is likely to be surrounded by limbs and bushes so thick, you will have difficulty seeing it. Have you ever attempted to shoot a 22-250 through brush? It doesn't work.

The 12 gauge slug is the opposite of a 22-250. It is heavy and crashes through brush but stays on path to the target. It WILL penetrate the shield of a big boar and it imparts enough energy to STOP a charging boar. For example, I witnessed a charging (unnprovoked) 325 pound boar shot in the shield at 10 yards with a 12 gauge slug. It was killed instantly but slid all the way up to the shooter's feet and rolled over. A perfect shot. He may have been killed with a 22-250. If you are walking, take the 12 gauge.

If you are hunting over bait from a treestand, you can use a .22LR or the rifle of your choice. You can wait for a perfect brain shot and you are not at risk of death or dismemberment.

Comment

These are not Russian boars,they are just regular ole feral hogs.

Comment

you will be fine with your 22-250 just shoot them behind the ear. I use a 22 mag to hut them and i shoot them behind the ear drops them like a rock.
                            Remember to watch the wind they can be spooky

Comment

In the middle east we were hunting boars and one guy in some cover had one come right at him moving fast to get away from the drivers. He had a 12ga with double ought shot and hit it twice. It kept coming and ran right over him and the tusk slashed his calf open on the way by. We took him to the hospital and he was there over two weeks and almost lost his leg from infection. Take the biggest gun you have on your hunt. good luck

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Pighunter: I don't need to speak for Christ. His message is clear enough and simple enough for anyone to grasp. There is no such thing as God's chosen....
                                Today, 12:15 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Har, har. Nice try. And just what do you think drove earliest societal construction? Survival of the family unit/herd. It's ingrained in our DNA through...
                                Today, 12:06 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by PigHunter
                                OHH, I totally disagree with you. That's a ridiculous statement that "Blind partisinism (sic) is racism in a sheep's clothing." Do you even...
                                Today, 11:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X