Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

neuman23 did you have success on your HAM hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neuman23 did you have success on your HAM hunt?

neuman23 did you have success on your HAM hunt?

I did not. I only had 3 days to hunt, which was last weekend. It was pretty windy, and did not see a thing. Not even see any fresh sign. I did run into a few other hunters out there and the consensus was that no one was seeing anything. I think the wind played a factor. I was thinking about going out today, but having three exams this next week, I thought it would be wiser to study. This was my first time hunting Javelina, so not sure how beneficial my advice is, but here it goes. I spent most of my hunt glassing the foothills, which in theory allows you to spot them a ways off. I've heard a lot of people have success in the washes, but that is pretty much getting lucky and bumping into a herd. I've also heard that a lot of the hunters focus on the washes. Either way prepare yourself mentally for not seeing anything for a while, but once you see a herd, it should be game over. Since they have poor eyesight approach quietly from downwind, and you should have success. The hard part about Javelina hunting is finding the animals. A friend of mine has hunted 37B in the past, and he said that it was a better unit than 37A, so hopefully you have better luck than me. What unit did you put in for elk? I put in for 4B, early and late rifle.

Comment

Ya I hunted 37A last year for javelina and had no luck and 37B the year before. A couple others down south units the years before that. I have tried to send time doing all of thoe but havent seemed to have much luck but I am hoping once again that changes this year. For elk I put in for 22 North and 23 late bull hunts, and for an oct cow hunt. Then an early cow hunt and late bull hunt in unit 1. I hunted 22 North two years ago archery late and had no luck and would just like to draw out this year. Starting to get anxious about going this weekend though, I hope that this year is going to be the year that I can find a heard.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad