Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What rifle would you suggest for bear hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What rifle would you suggest for bear hunting?

What rifle would you suggest for bear hunting?

Black?
    Brown?
    Grizzly?
    Polar?
    Kodiak?

A black don't take much. A well placed .30-30 will do nicely.
    For the remainder of the list? BIG!
    The Kodiak is hunted routinely with the Marlin .45-70 Gov't by island inhabitants!
    I'm quite certain a well placed '06 will take any of them. Just don't miss!

Comment

i would get a good 300 win mag and 180 grain bullet

Comment

If I was buying a dedicated black bear rifle, I had one and sold it, I would buy a Tikka T3 Lite in .338 Federal. I shot 200 grain Hornady Interlock bullets. I don't hunt black bears much and then only with my muzzleloader so I didn't need the .338 Federal I just wanted to try it out. I killed a deer with it and I believe it is a fine round. Any of the big bears I would buy a .338 Winchester mag.

Comment

If you're talking about Black bears, a .30/06 with 180 grs. is great.

Comment

Marlin 1895M in .450 marlin works real good. Use the Hornady Leverevolution plastic tip ammo for a solid 250 to 300 yard gun.

Comment

A 30-06 is plenty for black bears... just use round tipped 180g bullets in thick brush if necessary. For the big nasty guys on the end of FirstBubba's list, I'd use a .375 H&H or comparable rifle. If they are charging, I'd like to be able to stop them in their tracks. The .375 is more than necessary but it really packs a whollop and I have a lot of confidence in it which I am sure would steady my hand.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad