Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm gonna be coyote hunting on conservation property with a 12 gauge shotgun, because the hunting grounds only allow shotguns (n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm gonna be coyote hunting on conservation property with a 12 gauge shotgun, because the hunting grounds only allow shotguns (n

I'm gonna be coyote hunting on conservation property with a 12 gauge shotgun, because the hunting grounds only allow shotguns (no single shot projectiles) and archery. I'm sixteen and can't afford a special coyote choke, could i kill a coyote with no choke in the gun, and a turkey load? if so what is the max range i should shoot at?

gonna need a little more info.
    When you say "no choke in the gun" are you referring to a shotgun that came with screw in chokes that you plan to remove? Or are you talking about a shotgun without a screw in choke?

If it's the former, don't do it, you'll screw up the threads where a screw in choke should go. If it is a screw in choke barrel and you have chokes use one. I'd go with full or your aforementioned turkey tube.
    If the shotgun doesn't have a screw in choke then the barrel more than likely has some kind of restriction (choke) built into the barrel from the factory. Look at the barrel closely, somewhere on there it'll be stamped Mod (modified)-IC (improved cylinder) Full (full choke).

Comment

I'd go with #4 buck on that one if you can.

Comment

Another vote for #4 buck. I've bowled over several dogs past 50 yards with that load.

Comment

Keep your chokes in your gun! Like Hoski said you'll mess your threads up. I would also go with #4 buckshot as well! What kind of gun do you have? Do you have much experience hunting? Or coyote hunting?

Comment

Yeah the choke in the gun is just the cylinder one from the factory that came with it. I'm wasn't planning on taking it out, i just needed to know if it was good enough to hunt with or if i needed a new choke that brought in the pattern a little bit? Ga hunter: I have do have experience hunting, first year hunting whitetails last year, and squirrels before that! No experience with coyote hunting though...any pointers for me? Especially on calling them in (I have a cottontail call)? Thanks for the help!

Comment

I'd say take the gun to the range w/ the #4 everyone is recommending and see how it patterns at various ranges. Good luck! saw one running across an iced over pond the other day.

Comment

a cylinder is not something i would use...full choke minimum, keep that pattern tight, hold right on his chest when hes close.

Comment

If your Shotgun is a 12Ga...GOOD NEWS for young Hunters like you from Hornady...look in to there NEW Heavy Magnum Coyote Ammo 1.1/2 Oz.BB or 1.1/2 Oz.Buckshot,
                  will work with any Choke...Do to the Versatite Wad.
                  Good Luck.....Hunt Safe

Comment

ok thanks, i'll look into that sounds like my best option yet!

Comment

I've killed many, many coyotes with shotgun, and my friends and peers in PVCI have killed thousands of coyotes with shotguns over the past 20 years. You don't need a special choke. Full choke works great, and members of our club are about evenly split between one of these two loads: Copper-plated BB or #4 buck.

Comment

I use full choke #4 lead Buckshot. Check your regulations since many of these shooting venues do NOT allow it. They may have limits on the shot size. If they don't, you are solid out to about 40 yards. Size BB shot should roll them out to about 25 yards and 2 shot should be good to about 10-20 yards. I don't like shooting coyotes with anything smaller than BB shot though because their long winter fur can soak up a lot of lighter shot and I just don't like torturing animals.

Comment

As others mentioned, #4 buck is a good choice, and a full choke will be fine.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad