Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For a more traditional/really tuff hunting gun without a scope, should I get a muzzleloader or a 30-30? This is for big game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deerhunterrick
    replied
    Well I guess it would soulely depend on where you are going to hunt first off. And secondly what you really consider "Traditionly" You already stated it would not be a inline muzzle loader which is correct. In Pa the muzzle loading season only allows Flint Lock muzzle loaders. As far as a truely traditional firearm would be concerned the Winchester Mod 1894 pre 1964 would be as about traditional a deer rifle as one could get. It has probably taken more big game animals then any other firearm in existance. Including some of those listed above. The Savage 99 in 300 savage is one of the all time greatest, but it still falls behind the model 94 in .30/30,.30WCF or the 7.62x51R,, not to be confused with the 7.62x51 nato.. My vote would be a pre 1964 Model 1894 winchester in 30/30..

Leave a comment:

• Quinton Schmelzenbach
    replied
    Treestand: I am sorry, I was thinking of a different bullet...

Leave a comment:

• Quinton Schmelzenbach
    replied
    Treestand: you have some serious brass to pull that trigger many times in a row!

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Treestand, that's a big 10-4!

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    My Pick A Savage 99/358 Brush Gun, much better then 30/30,35Rem.

Leave a comment:

• JustTakeMeHunting14
    replied
    well like others have posted before a 30-30 is good for midrange. I personally consider it a deer gun so I feel that more versatility can be found from a muzzleloader where you can fire magnum loads and muzzleloader is a lot more broad as far as firearm caliber than a 30-30. That said, the usual caliber for a muzzleloader is a .50 which is more than enough for most game in my opinion. Go for the muzzleloader.

Leave a comment:

• Chewylouie
    replied
    Drover1- I actually already hunt with a recurve bow. If I were to get a muzzleloader, it would not be an inline.

Leave a comment:

• Quinton Schmelzenbach
    replied
    My great-grandfather hunted his whole life in Africa, where he worked, with a Savage 30-30 lever gun. He was superb with it. (Taking five impala with five shots in as many seconds, by shooting behind their ear.) I would recommend that.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I don't know if any one brand is any more accurate than another.
    Personally? I prefer the Marlin 336. My gramps 1947 M336 RS is as accurate as my bolt rifle when it was scoped.
    For plain old "tough & rugged", you might look at a S/S NEF Handi-rifle. Just about as simplistic as you can get.

Leave a comment:

• Drover1
    replied
    When you say “tough” and “traditional” hunting, I think muzzleloader, since its history dates back well before the 30-30 or any centerfire cartridge. The 30-30 has a lot of tradition behind it too, but that tradition is more recent, and it certainly is more efficient as a hunting firearm. If you want to really go traditional, get a replica of one of the original black-powder rifles instead of the modern models. If you want to go more traditional and more difficult than that, get a long bow.

Leave a comment:

• Chewylouie
    replied
    How accurate is it? Or does it depend on the model?

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    The .30-30 is a superb mid range, mid velocity, mid power, all purpose cartridge.
    It's capable of taking anything in North America. It's short, light, low recoil and simple.

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    I would lean towards a 30-30 or 45-70 lever action. Not that ML aren't good for tough hunting but they can be finnicky in bad weather. ML also require quite a bit of cleaning and maintenance to keep them trouble free.

Leave a comment:

• Ol Krusty
    replied
    I would prefer a lever action myself in a 45-70, but a 30-30 would be my second pick.

Leave a comment:

• Chewylouie
    replied
    It is not my first center fire. I have a .30-06, but would like another option.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to What's on your belt?
    by DakotaMan
    I always have the knife, sometimes the old Ruger Single Six. ...
    Today, 01:05 AM
  • What's on your belt?
    by PigHunter
    What are you carrying on your belt this season? Here's what I had yesterday for my solo hunt on public land.

Knife - discontinued Browning...
    Yesterday, 06:03 PM
  • Reply to Voter Fraud
    by jhjimbo
    I think Trump lawyers are having a hard time getting to SCOTUS because the courts are asking for evidence and detail that no longer exists and want more...
    Today, 12:59 AM
  • Voter Fraud
    by bowhunter75richard
    For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
    11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
  • Reply to Hunting pants?
    by jhjimbo
    My every day hunting are an old pair of camo Carhart heavy weight - almost like canvas. Add some UnderArmour long jons for colder weather and for real...
    Today, 12:34 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X