Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For a more traditional/really tuff hunting gun without a scope, should I get a muzzleloader or a 30-30? This is for big game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For a more traditional/really tuff hunting gun without a scope, should I get a muzzleloader or a 30-30? This is for big game.

For a more traditional/really tuff hunting gun without a scope, should I get a muzzleloader or a 30-30? This is for big game.

If this is your first center fire you can get a NEF shotgun/combo .50cal muzzle loader. Then pick up a 30-30 barrel on E-Bay.
    I have them and they work good. Lots of other barrels are available and often found on E-Bay or GunBroker. Besides the .50cal i have the .223,.308,.45/70,22-250 and 12ga. I did put scopes on all of them eventually.

Comment

It is not my first center fire. I have a .30-06, but would like another option.

Comment

I would prefer a lever action myself in a 45-70, but a 30-30 would be my second pick.

Comment

I would lean towards a 30-30 or 45-70 lever action. Not that ML aren't good for tough hunting but they can be finnicky in bad weather. ML also require quite a bit of cleaning and maintenance to keep them trouble free.

Comment

The .30-30 is a superb mid range, mid velocity, mid power, all purpose cartridge.
            It's capable of taking anything in North America. It's short, light, low recoil and simple.

Comment

How accurate is it? Or does it depend on the model?

Comment

When you say “tough” and “traditional” hunting, I think muzzleloader, since its history dates back well before the 30-30 or any centerfire cartridge. The 30-30 has a lot of tradition behind it too, but that tradition is more recent, and it certainly is more efficient as a hunting firearm. If you want to really go traditional, get a replica of one of the original black-powder rifles instead of the modern models. If you want to go more traditional and more difficult than that, get a long bow.

Comment

I don't know if any one brand is any more accurate than another.
                  Personally? I prefer the Marlin 336. My gramps 1947 M336 RS is as accurate as my bolt rifle when it was scoped.
                  For plain old "tough & rugged", you might look at a S/S NEF Handi-rifle. Just about as simplistic as you can get.

Comment

My great-grandfather hunted his whole life in Africa, where he worked, with a Savage 30-30 lever gun. He was superb with it. (Taking five impala with five shots in as many seconds, by shooting behind their ear.) I would recommend that.

Comment

Drover1- I actually already hunt with a recurve bow. If I were to get a muzzleloader, it would not be an inline.

Comment

well like others have posted before a 30-30 is good for midrange. I personally consider it a deer gun so I feel that more versatility can be found from a muzzleloader where you can fire magnum loads and muzzleloader is a lot more broad as far as firearm caliber than a 30-30. That said, the usual caliber for a muzzleloader is a .50 which is more than enough for most game in my opinion. Go for the muzzleloader.

Comment

My Pick A Savage 99/358 Brush Gun, much better then 30/30,35Rem.

Comment

Treestand, that's a big 10-4!

Comment

Treestand: you have some serious brass to pull that trigger many times in a row!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad