Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be a better choice for feral hogs remington 740 (30-06) or a remington 700 .243

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be a better choice for feral hogs remington 740 (30-06) or a remington 700 .243

What would be a better choice for feral hogs remington 740 (30-06) or a remington 700 .243

Hogs are toguh, a 243 can do it, but 30-06 is safer bet.

Comment

Hogs are toguh, a 243 can do it, but 30-06 is safer bet.

Comment

I'd go 30-06 too unless you know they're all going to be little Pigsicles, then the .243 would be fine.

Comment

My vote also goes to the .30-06.
          Some of those feral hogs can weigh in excess of 500 pounds.

Comment

I would go with the .223. My friend in S. Texas hunts with a .223, just don't aim for the chest. Go for the neck. If you aim for the chest, that bullet will get stopped in its tracks by the armor plate.
            P.s. If you want to have some fun, go after them with a bow. The first animal I ever killed was a +150# boar in S. Texas at 16 yards. At tonne of fun. But I must add, make sure you have that .45 close at hand and loaded. They do charge.

Comment

Got a .30-30?
              Then I'd go with the 740 Rem. You need quick follow up shots a bolt can't accomplish.

Comment

hey bubba he does have a 30-30. talked to him today and he said he will probably use it or the ought six.

Comment

It depends on how you plan to hunt. The .243 bolt-action will be adequate if hunting over bait and you have leisure in choosing the shot. The .30-06 pump will be better if shots at running pigs are possible. In either case, shot placement is key. Like others have stated, pigs can be tough to bring down.
                  Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

I also have a marlin 30-30

Comment

PigHunter: I should think you would know...

Comment

Don't know your hunting "method", but the Marlin is quite sufficient for "pigs".
                        Iron sights, lever action, short carbine style offers low recoil which helps with quick follow up shots. Quick target reacquisition with iron sights and easy maneuverability. Marlin's the way to go!

Comment

I use a bolt action in 30-06 with iron sights for hogs. 180 grain core locks are bad juju on hogs.

Comment

How do you plan to hunt them? The 740 is not known for its accuracy, but being a semi-auto would have the better follow up shots. The 700/243 is known for accuracy and would be better at longer range. The .243 with 100 grain bullets and good placement would effectively dispatch them. If your style is more "fast and furious", I would opt for the 740/30-06.

Comment

I would carry the 740 if hunting on the ground, or stalking and trailing. If hunting from a stand, either would do the job, but you will only get one shot with the .243. My personal favorite is a '94 .30-30 or .375 Winchester.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X