Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long have you gone without getting a big game animal or a small game animal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long have you gone without getting a big game animal or a small game animal?

how long have you gone without getting a big game animal or a small game animal?

Since about age 7, not more than a month or so. Deer, Elk, and birds in the fall, Waterfowl, cats and furbeares in the winter, bear and turkey in the spring, and some varmints and yotes usually cross my path in the summer.

Comment

Many times, that is why it is called hunting. When I was 17 I hunted every night and every weekend all day for 30 days and killed my best California Mule Deer on the last miserable, wet evening of the season.

It took me 60 days scattered over 3 years and a couple of pair of shoes to take a Stone Sheep in British Columbia.

Patience and the love of hunting in different places is what it is about. As you get older you realize killing is only incidental to the hunter's life.

Comment

When i was a teenager, hunting only one weekend a year, i went a decade before i killed my first buck. These days about once every 4 or 5 years i'll get skunked.

Comment

The most I have ever gone is about 2 months, any longer than that I will start having withdraws.

Comment

It was a tough 6 years while I was in college. I wasn't hunting for horns but for meat in the freezer. I had a full time job, a part time job and went to school full time. I may have shot 3 deer in 6 years. That's my longest drought.

Comment

buckhunter,

Good for you. Brings me up short reading your comment.

I misread the question. I read it as how long one hunted an animal, not as how long between hunts.

I grew up where there was no radio or T.V. If we did not hunt, the menu was really slim. We did not have a freezer. So I do understand a little.

Best of Luck, and kindest Regards

Comment

I've gone 2 years two different times. Once while in the service(U.S.N.) the other was when my little brother had passed on and I "lost" my hunting partner.

Comment

12 years. i started hunting at 12. and now im 14. lol.

Comment

several years for large game, i kill hogs, birds all time and fish

Comment

on a hunt i have gone about 6-7 hours and didnt kill a thing!

Comment

13yrs

Comment

2 Years while on deployment. It sucked.

Comment

Last season it felt impossible to shoot anything. We went turkey hutning, nothing. Deer hunting, Nothing, Duck hunting, Nothing. Grouse hunting, Nothing. Dove hunting, Nothing.

Comment

I think I have only went 1 year without getting something since I started hunting about 8 or 9 years ago. There are lots of does and rabbits where I hunt so it gives me a chance during a couple different seasons to at least get something.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad