Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your thoughts on baiting for bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your thoughts on baiting for bear?

What are your thoughts on baiting for bear?

I know many people consider bear hunting over bait unfair, even Humane. But other than the most remote places in the world it is next to impossible to shoot a bear other than with bait or dogs. In Maine it is more of a management thing than fair chase.

Comment

it really depends where you live. if its in a remote area thats their way of doin it and i dont think people should come down on them for that.

Comment

It helps you have enough time to judge the bear's size/gender. If a sow has cubs, you may not see them if she was passing by quickly, but the bait may allow you to see them too. Bait can also afford you the time to make a well placed shot.

Comment

I agree that it is almost impossible to shoot a bear without using bait, but i am still against the idea.

Nate

Comment

I'm on both sides of the fence here. I have shot bear over bait but would never do it again. Just no satisfaction. Our outfitter said baiting was the only way to see bear but while looking for my buddies wounded bear I ran into other bears I could have easily shot. I think it might be easier for the outfitter to guide you if he sits you in a tree and makes you wait.

I have seen numerous bears while fishing in different places. My next bear hunt will be spot and stalk but I would never fault anyone whom enjoys the baited bear.

Comment

Other than in the spring when they may venture into the open to eat grass, baiting and dogs is about your only option for hunting them. In our area it is needed inorder to control bear #'s to give calving cow elk a chance in the spring. Also don't be mislead into think baiting is a lazy mans game. Setting and maintaining good baits is a huge job requiring many trips mostly on foot with heavy bait. Not a weekend warrior hunting option.

Comment

idahooutdoors is right. And if you don't know what you are doing as far as setting up your station in the right place, using proper stand placement, etc you still won't get a bear.

Comment

I certainly am not opposed to bear baiting but I do lack the time and patience to properly maintain the bait. I like to spot and stalk because I find it more interesting as well as enjoy the challenge. Del, if Rick and his boys had the time we could have gone bear hunting this afternoon, their trip needs to be a little longer. Maybe next time.

Comment

As long as it is legal in the state you hunt, I am good with it. It is just like hunting whitetail over a feeder. I really do not see the problem with it as long as the state permits such way of hunting.

Comment

putting some trash out

Comment

I lost everything I typed Gosh darn it. Well start over again. I hunt bear in northern Wisconsin and we hunt both bait and dogs. Its up to the shooter how he/she wants to harvest one. We have a quite of few members in our group. Not sure if you realize WI does have a lottery for a class A lience(kill tag) you still buy a class B linence(help harvest one) Anyway we do both methods. Bait piles are great for both methods because bait piles are a great place to start the dogs at. I can't say one is better than the other but dogs are fun. When I get my tag I would love to shoot my first bear sitting in a corn field and wating for him to come up to me. Now that sounds like fun!!!

Comment

there is NO difference between hunting bear over a bait station than hunting whitetails over food plots...in my part of Alaska, dense timber and a lack of meadows/parks make spot and stalk nearly impossible...However, I prefer spot and stalk due to my lack of patience...I would rather get out there on foot than sit in a stand all day long...

Comment

i dont like any baiting, its all imoral and dangerous to hunting

Comment

No problem here I see it as one of the only ways I could get a large bear to come to my stand where we hunt with so much woods around where everybody else does it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad