Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting to start black bear hunting this year. Any suggestions for a bullet type/weight to use for a .30-06?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting to start black bear hunting this year. Any suggestions for a bullet type/weight to use for a .30-06?

I'm getting to start black bear hunting this year. Any suggestions for a bullet type/weight to use for a .30-06?

Any off the shelf 150 or 165 grain Hornady, Remington Core-Lokt®, Federal or Winchester is plenty sufficient. You don’t need no Fancy Smancy , “Nuclear Tipped" bullet for a Black Bear as some may believe!

Learn where the shoulder and lungs are and remember, alot of shots are low because the hunter was unaware to place the shot. The reason for it the hair makes the bear larger hiding the smaller body mass.

Comment

PS

Shoulder shots are most preferred to anchor them! I shot a nice Black Bear a couple years ago with my Muzzle loader. It was moving fast and I placed the 44 cal 265 grain Hornady thru the ungs and dropped it , BOOM SMOKE FLOP! All in 20 feet!!

Comment

Clay is right, as usual. Aside from the long hair there is often a few inches(or more) of fat just inside the hide as well. Use 165gr, aim mid height just above foreleg if broadside.

Comment

I believe "Bigger is Better"(Sorry Mr Cooper). I use the 165gr. on deer, as for bear I'd go with 220gr. in the core-lokt or some thing simmular.
          Good Luck, Good Hunting, and Shoot straight.

Comment

i agree with clay as usual, the 150-165gr will work fine. if you not comfortable with that weight you could use a 180gr but you wont need it. as far as brands i like Remington, Federal is my second pick, but just use whatever shoots best in your rifle.

Comment

Hey me too buddy. My dad and I just got our bear camp set up.

I would use at lease a 225 grain to make a clean kill.

Comment

If you handload, you can't beat Hornaday interlocks. Assuming your rifle shoots them well, 150 to 180 grain bullets. Shoot them and see what your rifle prefers. Don't know if they're available in factory ammo as we roll our own. Good luck and good hunting.

Comment

180 or 220 grain core lokt.

Comment

AMEN BROTHER 007 on the Hornaday interlocks!

For the 4 years in Alaska, there is not a single person I know of ever had a problem with Hornady interlocks. I always hunted with my 338 Win Mag with 225 grain Hornady interlocks and shot a lot of game and all of them bang flop. Friend Mike was carrying a 270 on Taylor Mountain near chicken Alaska and wanted to take a Monster Grizz so I let him barrow my 338 Win Mag. Dropped that bruin in its tracks blowing both sides of the shoulders clean out at 250 yards. I carried 250 grain Nosler Partitions and never used them on any game because the 225 were doing such a devastating job. At 700 yards on Caribou, the 225’s still blew thru leaving bloodshot (grease) between the hide and ribs 2/3 of the rib area. Due to hydrostatic shock.

I used Sierra 250 grain one time and the bullet core separated from its jacket and later found out this was the norm. Sierra is not on my list!

Comment

hunt_fish_sleep

I can see using a 180 but a 220?

Good grief Charley Brown!

220’s are way too heavy, too slow in velocity and don’t start working until it’s exiting the other side leaving a very small wound channel!

Comment

O'Brother

If you need a 220 out of a 30-06 for a Black Bear, what do you think you need for a Brown Bear?

A 700 NITRO EXPRESS!

I’ve backed up a many hunters in Alaska shooting Black Bears and a 150 out of a 30-30 works fantastic too!

Dead is dead!

Brother ken.mcloud said it best!

“So, I think that the superior killing power of larger rounds is largely in our heads.(likely testosterone induced) A flat-shooting round that you can accurately place will produce as many if not more "bang-flop" kills as a heavy caliber round.”

Comment

If you plan on shooting longer ranges where a flatter trajectory may help with accuracy then go with a good solid bonded core 150 grainer. If you are hunting off a bait or in short range conditions I would go with a good solid bonded core 180 grainer.

Comment

.180 will do fine with a well-placed shot.

Comment

I agree 220 in 30 cal is too much bullet. Any good 150-180 grain bullet will do the job. Clay, Sierra made their bones with target bullets. They a 2nd rate for big game. Good low priced bullets are Rem core lokt, Speer hot core, Hornady interlock and a few others.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad