Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the difference from a 25-06 and a 30-06

what is the difference from a 25-06 and a 30-06

Size of the bullet. They both use the .30-60 brass(hull), one uses a .257 size bullet the other .308. Hope this helps.

Comment

G"YEP! Big O said it!

25-06 shoots a smaller diametr and lighter bullet fast and flat and you can hunt Elk!

30-06 shoots bigger bullet not as flat but harder hitting and you can hunt Moose!

Comment

Both are excellent cartridges with a wide range of uses.

Comment

Clay that is the most unscientfic answer you've ever gave! The 25-06 is an excellent cartridfe from deer to coyotes to elk. It shoots flat, it kills and it out preforms most of the other 25s (althogh the 257 WBY still beats it) is economical to shoot and even Wally World carries it!) Its a good cartridge and one of the last ones I would ever sell if the sh93 hit the fan!

Comment

CPT BRAD

I was waiting for you to catch that! LOL!!!

257 WBY MAG? Outperforming thr 25-06?? Maybe your 25-06, not my 25-06! YUK YUK!

Now I can push the 257 WBY too, but I'm shooting 257 WBY factory load velocities!

Comment

buck hunter 17

The 25-06 is my #1 choice. Years ago I sold my 300 Win Mag shooting blistering loads at 750 yards and some change. I sold the 300 Win Mag and bought a 25-06 and never looked back!

How sweet it is! O'YA!!

I shot a Big Mule Deer at 300 yards with a 120 grain Nosler Partition shoulder shot with total pass thru and pulverized the shoulder as if I shot it with a 180 grain 300 Win Mag!

By the way, all the 300 Win Mag cases I had?
              I made 338 Win Mag out of them!!

Comment

O'Ya I forgot to tell you, I shot that deer without the "KICK"!

Comment

OOPS!

Nice Buck by the way!

I knew I was forgetting something! B)

Comment

They are 2 different diameter bullets in the same case. They are similar except for a)SPEED. The 25-06 has it, the 30-06 does not, b)recoil. the 30-06 has it, the 25-06 does not. c) flexibility with varmints. The 25-06 has it, the 30-06 does not and finally d) flexibility for larger game like the larger African antelope. The 30-06 has it the 25-06 does not. I have a Weatherby in 25-06 and people who don't shoot much thought I was nuts for not getting the .257 Weatherby for the same price. I did it because the 25-06 cartrige has been my overall favorite for over 40 years for hunting in the lower 48 states. It is hard to beat. The .257 Weatherby is impressive with a little more unnoticeable speed but it kicks... one of the main reasons I like the 25-06.. it doesn't kick and the brass is dirt cheap for reloading versus expensive for the Weatherby. I can't say anything bad about the venerable 30-06 though... a great all around cartrige unless you want to shoot varmints and don't mind recoil.

Comment

Dakotaman, not bad. Three out of four,I think you were off on point c). The 06 bullets range in size from 110gr. to 220 factory. I've used the 110s on coyotes and never had a problem.

Comment

25-06 has a smaller lead and the neck of the brass has a smaller diameter. Goes further and faster than 30-06.

Comment

30-6 is bigger and it kicks more harder and the rifle is heavier than a 25-6.

Comment

Of all the posts so far, I like Clay's original post the best. Short, sweet and to the point!

Comment

Clay beat me to it, just a necked down 06', using smaller and lighter diamiter bullets thus creating more velocity.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to We Don't NEED
                                by rock rat
                                Turd herder? Bubba did you used to work at the wastewater plant?

Am Flyer, much appreciated but it's kind of a lost cause here.
                                Today, 01:18 PM
                              • We Don't NEED
                                by jhjimbo
                                We may want, but we do not NEED.
                                We don't need a female President just to have a female President. We especially don't need a black female President...
                                Yesterday, 07:33 AM
                              • Reply to We Don't NEED
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Perhaps it's time to think about scheduling one of Trump's cognitive tests? ...
                                Today, 01:08 PM
                              • Reply to What Would Your World Be Like ?
                                by Amflyer
                                If Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi were alive today, they would not think this meme to be in good taste. Shame on you. ...
                                Today, 01:04 PM
                              • What Would Your World Be Like ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Have you thought about what your world would be like if you could not legally own a firearm ??...
                                Yesterday, 04:12 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X