Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am interested in picking-up black bear hunting, and I was wondering if anyone out there had some thoughts for me as to what to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am interested in picking-up black bear hunting, and I was wondering if anyone out there had some thoughts for me as to what to

I am interested in picking-up black bear hunting, and I was wondering if anyone out there had some thoughts for me as to what to look for on a topo map when trying to find a good spot to start out.

It would depend on what part of the country you are in. Out here when spot and stalking in the spring I like to take forest service trails up mountain creek bottoms that allow for the glassing of open grassy hillsides and ridges below the snow line. I try and stay informed on areas that have had burn activity over the last 10 years as well in order to find places with lots of grass where the bears will be grazing this time of year. (you can cheat some by scouting on google earth, if you know the current elevation of the snow line, you can look for open grassing areas below that elevation to check out on your hunt) I prefer to set my baits on open timber benches a few hundred feet above creek bottoms on the upwind side of large drainages so scent from my grease burns cover and hang over as large an area as possible.

Comment

The question where are you hunting and what time of year?

Comment

Get in the woods and scout.

Comment

scounting bear and deer are two different things!!!! Bear have a few more miles range than a deer has by far. It depends on where and when you are hunting bear. Spring, grass fields, fall corn fields and around oak trees. Bear roam so much, topo map really would not help you too much. If you have a funnel system of woods with 100-200 yards with corn field around in the fall would be a great start. If no corn fields around start looking for acorns.

Comment

Northern Minnetota. Our Season is Sept through the middle of Oct.

I want to get out in the woods and scout, but the area I hunt is more than 4 hours from my house. So it would be nice to identify a place to start before I left rather than wandering Superior National Forest hoping for some sign.

Comment

To BuckTheSystem,

I hunt bear in northern WI, if I were you I try to get a rough idea where you want to hunt. From there contact the locals. Most likely they want to get the bears. They might even help your bait the bear!! also talk to the mail man that does the route cause he goes by every day he can tell you where he seen the bears. I would head up there less than a month and talk to the locals before somebody else takes the good spot. Bear don't leave signs like deer. Deer might stay only a few miles from their home whereas bear is over 20+ miles. Talk to the locals I'm sure they will tell where the area they see the bear the most. Trying to figure out how to get pics on here have a few dandy bears on camera.

Comment

Hey buddy I am trying to start bear hunting too. I got my tag now I just need to find time around turkey hunting to hunt them.

Comment

I would say to set up some trail cameras as to where you think there are bears and maybe even over baiting spots if baiting is allowed in your state.

Comment

Not to overstate the obvious but look for the food, acorns, berries, old orchards, grasses, etc. That's a start.

Comment

Not to ask a dumb question, but any types of grasses in particular?

Comment

Anything full, lush, and green if you're hunting in the spring. When they come out of the den, they're looking for any sort of protein they can find. Doesn't apply of course if fall hunting. As a second thought, it doesn't hurt to make friends with the locals who know about this sort of thing either.

Comment

Get in the woods soon!

Comment

Get in the woods soon!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad