Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would the .300 savage be enough to take down a moose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve been hunting with my family for a while, currently i use a .303 enfield that was handed down by my granddad which i intend on holding onto but i’m looking for something with a little more bells and whistles and doesn’t double as a bench press bar. I’m not looking for a cannon but something that will take down a moose without marksmen level shot placement. 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 Any reply is appreciated
    Last edited by adomanim1; 07-16-2021, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Shot placement is STILL the determining factor for you cleanly take an animal (which you owe it to the animal to do your best) vs. outside the critical area and wind up only wound the animal who may be lost and suffer a horrible death. There are tons of cartridges suitable to take a moose. I suggest you read some articles on hunting Moose or get a experienced hunter as a mentor. Good Luck

Comment

I’ve never hunted moose but I’m guessing the vitals are at least 12 inches. I don’t know what marksmen level accuracy is. But from what little I know about moose hunting it seems a pretty short range affair. I’m guess 100 yards or less.

if hitting a 12”x12” target something that cant be achieved.

It doesn’t matter if you have .30-378 weatherby if you can’t hit anything it’s a waste of time and ammo.

what I’m getting at is practice practice practice.

you owe it to the moose to be able to harvest quickly.

Comment

I've shot a few moose and 180 gr 30-06 did the job though sometimes barely. At close range .300 Savage with same weight bullet MIGHT do the job but could be dicey. Step up to 30-06 or 300 Win if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
            I’ve never hunted moose but I’m guessing the vitals are at least 12 inches. I don’t know what marksmen level accuracy is. But from what little I know about moose hunting it seems a pretty short range affair. I’m guess 100 yards or less.

if hitting a 12”x12” target something that cant be achieved.

It doesn’t matter if you have .30-378 weatherby if you can’t hit anything it’s a waste of time and ammo.

what I’m getting at is practice practice practice.

you owe it to the moose to be able to harvest quickly.
            I posted before - a guy I worked with went to Ontario almost every year and got a moose on unguided hunt. His rifle was a .270win.

30-06 180gr vel. 2750fps., .300 Savage 180gr 2400. big difference. Only with a expert shooter and best possible target would I shoot a moose with the .300. Savage. Also, don't shoot one in the water.
            Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-18-2021, 05:41 PM.

Comment

You guys know you're replying to a nine year old thread?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                You guys know you're replying to a nine year old thread?
                So stupid, why can't a question be discussed again for new members ?

Comment

Well, at least people are talking about hunting and shooting.
                  When I black bear hunt and moose hunt (hopefully) with a friend of mine who live in Alaska, I will have a revolver with me and a single-shot XP-100. Probably a 6.5-284, 6.5 PRC, 284 Win or 280 AI. I could always build a 30 cal just for the trip too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                    Well, at least people are talking about hunting and shooting.
                    When I black bear hunt and moose hunt (hopefully) with a friend of mine who live in Alaska, I will have a revolver with me and a single-shot XP-100. Probably a 6.5-284, 6.5 PRC, 284 Win or 280 AI. I could always build a 30 cal just for the trip too.
                    I admire you for the fact that you're looking at the largest of the deer family and you aren't reaching for a .500 Nitro Express! LOL!
                    Many moons back, a buddy of mine took a moose with a .257 Rbts.
                    If I were to go moose hunting today, I would use my Ruger #1 .270 Win or my 6.8mm Rem SPC.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

So stupid, why can't a question be discussed again for new members ?
                      Just thought I'd let you know that the OP probably won't see it.
                      Besides, per previous discussion, we have come to the conclusion that F&S has pretty much closed memberships.

Comment

Originally posted by adomanim1 View Post
                        I’ve been hunting with my family for a while, currently i use a .303 enfield that was handed down by my granddad which i intend on holding onto but i’m looking for something with a little more bells and whistles and doesn’t double as a bench press bar. I’m not looking for a cannon but something that will take down a moose without marksmen level shot placement. 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 Any reply is appreciated
                        First, your .303 is approx. the power of a 30-06. It is the most popular round in Canada.
                        If you want to be a designer, find a good gunsmith and develop a plan with him to sporterize the .303. It would be a heck of a rifle and ammo is quite available. good Kuck.. im

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad