Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would the .300 savage be enough to take down a moose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was to go moose hunting, I would whine and cry to my wife about how the rifle I had was not adequate enough for the beast and go get me a 340 Weatherby, or 358 Norma Mag. Mans got to use every excuse he can to get a new gun!

Comment

Ditto's WAM!

I've witnessed several Moosed shot with 30-30 with 170 grain to 458 Win Mag. Bottom line is, I don't give a rip what you got, it's all about bullet placement!

I watched a 18ish year old with a 30-06 with 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt® and drop a monster Moose instantly in its tracks. I was worrying about a follow up shot with my 338 Win Mag, but that Kid with the 06 proved me flat out wrong! GO FIGURE!

Comment

After listening to tales from guys who have successfully taken moose, I have come to the conclusion that they are not that hard to kill, but will dash to the nearest swamp! LOL

Comment

WAM's got it right and there is nothing worse than trying to gut and quarter a moose in 2' of water with another 1' of mud under that. Use enough gun, place your shot high in the shoulder and hope it drops right there.

Comment

it will get the job done. just do your part.

Comment

IMO a bull elk is harder to kill than a moose. However there is no good reason to handicap yourself with a medium round like the 300 Savage for either. Hit'em with something like a 30-06 or better with a high quality bullet and you will be happy.

Comment

Just to stir the pot.

Anyone have any experience with 7.62X54R in the Mosin-Nagant for moose? I'm sure the Finns have probably taken bunches of moose with them.

The Mosin-Nagant is inexpensive rifle and could give one the moose option fairly painlessly.

Comment

Here in Alaska it is WISE to carry for the worst you may encounter, ie: Grizzlies therefor a 30-06 is the smallest advised. In our hunts one of the family/ friends has the shotgun with "Black Magic" slugs. We do not hunt Grizz as we don't eat 'em.

Comment

Here is a Wikipedia post regarding the7.62X54R as it compares more to the .308 I would not use mine for moose but would probably use it for Black bear and/ or Caribou. Yes I have an M38 Mosin-Nagaunt.

Comment

OOps here's the wiki The 7.62×54mmR is the oldest cartridge still in regular combat service with several major armed forces in the world. In 2011 the cartridge reached the 120 years in service mark. The 7.62×54mmR is currently (2011) mainly used in sniper rifles like the Dragunov sniper rifle and machine guns like the PKM. The ballistic performance is similar with the .308 Winchester/7.62×51mm NATO cartridge. The .30-06 Springfield cartridge (7.62x63 mm) with its higher service pressure and case capacity outperforms the 7.62×54mmR, especially when same length test barrels are used in this comparison.[3] Even when comparing a 24 inch barrel .30-06 Springfield to a 28 inch barrel 7.62×54mmR, the Russian round still is more in line with the .308 Winchester but a handful of modern loads of the 7.62×54mmR nearly reach the 30-06's power.

Comment

The short answer is "it depends". Generally, yes.

There are a lot of variables involved here; bullet weight, velocity, distance, marksmanship, etc. A .300 Savage, compared to a .30-06 (or .308)is a couple of hundred feet per second slower than. Stated in other terms, a .300 Savage performs at 100 yards similar to what a .30-06 performs at 250 yards. You find the same thing with a .338-06 or 338 Federal compared to a .338 WinMag, and in other calibers (e.g, 7X57 Mauser vs. .280 Remington vs. 7 MM RemMag, etc., .257 Roberts vs. .25-06).

Having said that, the distance at which you intend to take your shots at - or your self-discipline to govern your decisions, and your marksmanship become the important variables. The objective is a clean, quick kill; my experience is that most animals do not drop catastrophically, rather, that they run a short distance - though I have had a few drop in their tracks - with a heart/lung shot. They bleed out relatively quickly, running a short distance, stagger, and fall. I have shot bison at similar distance and of similar size with the same rifle and load, heart/lung shots - .35 whelen - had one drop instantly, and another stood there, and I put two more rounds in it before it fell.

People killed grizzly bears, moose, elk, deer with muzzle loaders 200 years ago; they kill them with muzzle loaders and even pistols now. The "bigger is better" and "magnum" mindsets are contradicted by the use of black powder rifles, pistols, and late-19th/early 20th century cartridges to this very day.

Know your limits - accuracy and distance - and stay within them. If you are thinking about purchasing a rifle, a .30-06 is a good all-around rifle for North American game. If you have a .300 Savage (or .30-06, 308) it's a matter of accuracy, distance, bullet/load selection more than the round.

I have yet to shoot an animal that could tell the difference between a bullet to the heart/lungs traveling at 2,500 feet per second versus 2,200 feet per second.

Comment

I was handed down a Model 99 lever-action .300 Savage. It has a 2-7X Bushnell scope with Rainguard and I only use 180-grain Remington ammunition. I always sight it in for 100 yards. I have been hunting moose and deer with it for 15 years now. I've killed bucks, does, bulls, cows and calves from 20-300 yards. It is FINE for moose, don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

Know your gun, know your limitiations, keep it clean and sighted-in, aim for the front shoulder and pull the trigger. I've seen guys with seperate guns for moose hunting or different grain weights. TRUST ME, you don't need it. Stick to one gun, one grain weight. I love the Savage. Great nostalgia, great bush gun, and everyone knows it's me when I start shooting as it has a distinctive sound.

Comment

It just kills me to read postings from people that have NO experience with weapons,calibers, or hunted certain game. But have advise about something they know nothing about?The 300 savage was around long before the big 30's and was the 30.30 32, and 35rem, along with many other cailbers less powerful then these? And ALL took elk and other big game all day long! You and I would'nt be here if meat had not been put on the table!Yes there are calibers that will work better, but to say the 300 savage is'nt enough? Well thats crazy and wrong!Teddy R, took everything in North America and Africa with a 30.06 in 1909-1910 with a 150gr fmj and 220 lead with the powder and projectiles of that era.You modern guys need to learn your history and get the facts right!

Comment

It just kills me to read postings from people that have NO experience with weapons,calibers, or hunted certain game. But have advise about something they know nothing about?The 300 savage was around long before the big 30's and was the 30.30 32, and 35rem, along with many other cailbers less powerful then these? And ALL took elk and other big game all day long! You and I would'nt be here if meat had not been put on the table!Yes there are calibers that will work better, but to say the 300 savage is'nt enough? Well thats crazy and wrong!Teddy R, took everything in North America and Africa with a 30.06 in 1909-1910 with a 150gr fmj and 220 lead with the powder and projectiles of that era.You modern guys need to learn your history and get the facts right!

Comment

Actually Teddy's rifle was a 30-03! So you might check your facts!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to COVID 19 “Super-spreader” !....
                                  by 99explorer
                                  lab-
                                  That would be classified information.
                                  Yesterday, 11:53 PM
                                • COVID 19 “Super-spreader” !....
                                  by bowhunter75richard
                                  The biden administration is now concerned that the UN General Assembly taking place in NYC, has the potential of being a super-spreader of the Covid virus...
                                  Yesterday, 07:29 AM
                                • Reply to Target Practice
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  What is the current going price for American made 9mm 115gr box of 50 ? I just bought Remington 115gr Target ammo for $20. Is that a good price ?
                                  Yesterday, 11:20 PM
                                • Target Practice
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  My Niece has been doing some shooting, 9mm and .22lr - doing very good. Shoots at a large indoor two level range. She has 2 pistols and already looking...
                                  09-17-2021, 07:51 PM
                                • Reply to Vacating Afghanistan
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Another useless post by the idiot. The U.S. legally turned the equipment over to the Afgan Army and Government, not just trained the Afgan on our equipment....
                                  Yesterday, 11:04 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X