Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would the .300 savage be enough to take down a moose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would the .300 savage be enough to take down a moose?

would the .300 savage be enough to take down a moose?

While I am certain it has taken it's share of moose and other big game in North America it is not really a wise choice. It is intended for Medium sized big game like deer,antelope and black bear. It was originally hoped to compete with the 30.06 in lever action short throw rifles. Ballistically it was only close by about 200 fps or so. The 99 savage was a great rifle chambered in this caliber. The cartridge served as the basis for the .308 which in turn became the .243 also among other high velocity wildcats that became factory loaded. Better to stick with a larger .30 calibers or larger for moose. 30.06 would be the minimum I's consider. The .300 wm ,300wsm, 338 mag etc

Comment

There's a gentleman I know who relies on the .30-30, which is markedly less powerful than the .300 Savage. While I would not recommend it as a primary cartridge choice, it will accomplish the job if your bullet placement is good. While I wholeheartedly recommend it for deer, and I'd use it for elk, I do hesitate to recommend it for moose.

Comment

What -rick andEJP said

Comment

I would recomend .300 WSM for something as big as a moose

Comment

Curiosity again on my part. I've never moose hunted but I do have a .300 Savage (starting to sound like "I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night"). Do you think it would be adequate with a proper bullet and/or handload in experienced hands? Good hunting, all.

Comment

The problem with moose is, if they don't die relatively quickly, they are libel to run into a bog or swamp, making recovery a pain in the [email protected]%! I've seen a 900lb cow moose absolutely spun around by a .308 and the one I've shot took a .338 walked 30 yards and fell over. A well built bullet in the .30 caliber and above range will get the job done if put in the right place.

Comment

If a .30-06 is up to the task, a .300 Savage surely is albeit at a shorter range than a '06 since it starts out slower. At 150 - 200 yards, the .300 Savage will get 'er done IMO.

Comment

I agree with the above posts that a .300 Sav will indeed kill a moose with a well placed shot. That said, I have seen video of angry or injured Moose charge, gore, stomp or otherwise ruin a hunters day. When dealing with large animals with a possible temperment like that, i'd like to be overgunned. Also as stated, yhe possiblity for an animal that large to get into a nasty bog or swamp after the shot may call for more of a bonecrushing round IMO

Comment

Anything is possible. That being said, a right placed shot would theoretically kill a moose. But my personal feeling's are, that is pushing the envelope a bit. I've never hunted the animal, however, I feel a faster and harder hitting caliber should be used.

Comment

I know a guide in northern Alberta who has for many years relied on a .300 Savage for moose and elk. He claims never to have lost one. He dropped a fine mule deer buck in my presence a few years ago with one carefully-aimed offhand shot. I tend to believe him.
                      I personally prefer the .30-06.

Comment

thanks everyone for the help

Comment

I have shot several moose. A 30-06 just barely did the job. A .308 would be the bare minimum in my book and I wouldn't advise one of those either. As far as I'm concerned a .300 Savage just isn't in the ball park for either moose or elk. I don't think rocky mountain elk are any easier to knock down than Shiras or Western moose subspecies. The Alaskan variety is a different matter though!

Comment

I watched a moose get shot with 5 well placed shots from a .300 savage when I was a teenager. The moose charged us out of the brush and came within 20 yards before the guide dropped him with a .45/70 Given the right marksman and an adequately placed shot any animal within reason can be killed with the little.22 Lr. But why on earth would you put yourself at a disadvantage with such a big animal to begin with. Under 100 yards or brush I will take a 12ga with slugs any day. 546 grs @ 2400# of energy over [email protected]# of energy the mass of the slug is like geting hit with a sledgehammer opposed to a tennis racket. The .300 savage has taken plenty of game,big and small and I will not take that away from it. Buut so has the .30/30, .22 hornet, .22 mag & .22Lr . It doesn't take a rocket scientist to find the mark,but it does take some experience,luck or construction to get there through bone if the mark is not hit exactly right. I've hunted with plenty of Indian Guides that only used the .22 mag for anything from the titmouse to Bear,but that don't mean it's the right choice to use. Survival is one thing, responsible is another

Comment

I had a bull elk take 3 hits from a .35 Whelen at close range before going down and saw a cow elk go 2 miles with 2 hits from a .300 magnum, too. Use enough gun, get close enough that you can hit the vitals with enough velocity and energy to destoy them and it will go down.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad