Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok so after all this arguing between you guys, ive decided to go with the 25-06. but i just want to know how good they would be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok so after all this arguing between you guys, ive decided to go with the 25-06. but i just want to know how good they would be

ok so after all this arguing between you guys, ive decided to go with the 25-06. but i just want to know how good they would be for west virginia black bear?

i have heard of the 270 taking black bear commonly. a 25-06 would surely take a black bear. just make sure you're using a heavier grain weight and shot placement will be important. but you will be fine.

Comment

Use a good bullet and it will kill the biggest black Bear that ever walked.

Comment

I would never hunt a bear with a 25-06, just not good survival instincts. Plus If you go with a guide you know he's going to wish it was a bigger gun.

Comment

Okay, as I said before to Reid Jones: "Increase the weight to at least 100 Grains. Hornady 117 Grain SST are a good deer bullet; Remington 100 Grain or 120 Grain PSP; Winchester Supreme 110 Grain Accubonds."

Comment

25-06 on Black Bear?

Shoot "MOP" and there shouldn't be a problem!

Comment

I would shoot a 270 with a 150 grain nosler

Comment

180 grain 30-06, bears have teeth and claws.

Comment

If you've decided to get a 06 anyway, go ahead and just get the .30-06. It may save your life! Like Walt said they have tooth and claws and WILL eat you if properly motivated(shot poorly)and given a chance.
                  Good luck and Good hunting !!

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate with the 25-06... this is where a premium 117 to 120 grain bullet (I like Barnes)is best. Most people don't understand the penetration and killing power of the .257 bullet. With black bear, you just have to be prepared to penetrate more brush and more fur. Therefore don't use 90 grain or smaller bullets. Black bear aren't like hunting rhinos, they are flesh and blood. I doubt that you will ever stop a good 120 grain bullet with a black bear and their shocking power has to be seen to be believed.

Comment

Shoot just BEHIND the shoulder, not into it. Use the 117 or 120gr bullet.

Comment

.30-06 220 grain core lokt. Knock that bear on his @$$.

Comment

.25-06 is a great gun. I have used one my whole life less of a child (.243). The difference between a .25-06 and .30-06 is the lead. The .25-06 goes further and gets there faster.

Comment

Speed isn't always the best answer. With the Ursus family you need bullet weight and penetration. Nothing lighter than 150 grain WELL MADE bullets need apply. Good hunting.

Comment

Another thought here. What type of hunting are you talking about, with hounds or what? If you're talking about following the dogs, you don't really need a long range round, something more close range with a heavier bullet at a slower speed is more appropriate generally. Welcome to the bear hunting fraternity.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                I haven't "packed in" anywhere to go hunting since maybe 1987. But I still shoot a deer every year. Though not over a feeder.

Today, 04:28 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by crm3006
                                From # 1 Bubba- HEY!!! MOTORMOUTH!!!!
                                Too chicken s#¡t to take my bet?

Yep, he is, # 1 Bubba. Just a Canajan phony with a hot keyboard...
                                Today, 04:20 PM
                              • Trump
                                by Danbo
                                https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                                04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by FirstBubba
                                Ya know bhr!
                                I think conservatives have figured out that "racist" and "sexist" are trigger words and liberals use them to shut...
                                Today, 03:57 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X