Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you believe is the best way to turkey hunt still hunting or walking around.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you believe is the best way to turkey hunt still hunting or walking around.

What do you believe is the best way to turkey hunt still hunting or walking around.

It all depends on the conditions. If its raining or very windy I tend to walk more. On calm mornings, I tend to sit more. Above all else; it depends on if i'm hearing a gobbler. I have a lot of turkeys in my area and really have a bad time with tom's being intercepted by hens. When I have a turkey gobble to a call; I try to get setup as close as possible to try to minimize the possibilities of a hen getting to him before my #4 shot.

Comment

The less moving around you do is usually best, you are less likely to spook birds. As Jay said try to set up on gobbling birds as close as possible without spooking them. If gobbling is sparse then I like to quietly walk ridge lines and set up and call every 100 - 150 yards or so. I typically stay put at least 20 minutes or so at each location.

Comment

I think sitting still is your best bet I usualy figure out where they are the night before and set up close to them and try to call them in.

Comment

For safety reasons in some areas still hunting. In certain areas free of other hunters, I like to stalk in when birds gobble back, but will not come in.

Comment

sitting and calling is the way to go most of the time and as ida said the safest. Usually about the time I get up to move around is the time a bird comes in silent. Patience is the key.

Comment

I only walk to go locate a bird and get close enough so I can hear it. Once I hear the turkey and think it is close enough, I sit down and wait, trying to call it in. This approach usually works for me. Also, the less moving around you do the better.

Comment

I was always taught that, assuming you have already done your scouting, you sit in the spring and walk in the fall.

The idea being that in the spring the toms are looking for some turkey-lovin' so they'll come to your decoys.

Whereas, in the fall, they aren't interested in getting busy. You need to break up the flock and then set up your decoys and try to reassemble the flock and call them back in.

Comment

I go pretty mobile in both spring and fall.

Comment

Some properties I hunt have only 1 good spot to set up so I would stay there. Others have more good spots so I hunt each one for at least 30 min. Longer of course if I know there are birds around.

Comment

still hunting is the way I was raised to hunt.

Comment

Their eyes are too sharp to hunt moving around much. You have to be very careful when still hunting, but it is probably the most fun in my opinion.

Comment

depends on the weather and the time of year. if you drew for the first season or second i like to still hunt. when it is the later seasons i like to hunt on the move. even yesterday while i was deer hunting i decided to take a walk and scared up some turkeys.

Comment

Try to set up on gobbling birds as close as possible without spooking them!

Comment

Try to set up on gobbling birds as close as possible without spooking them!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad