Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello, I am new to the forum. I just wanted some input regarding ammo selection for black bear hunting in NY state (typically an

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, I am new to the forum. I just wanted some input regarding ammo selection for black bear hunting in NY state (typically an

Hello, I am new to the forum. I just wanted some input regarding ammo selection for black bear hunting in NY state (typically anywhere from 200-400lbs). I will be using a ground blind or stalking; the use of bait for big game hunting is illegal in the state. Are Winchester Super-X 180 gr. silvertips adequate for busting a shoulder and doing the job well provided I do mine? I have some of this ammo on hand (30-06 bolt-action), is it necessary to spend $45. for a box of Federal Trophy bonded tips or $50. for Winchester Supreme Elites or other premium bullets for this task? Also if you don't mind, do you recommend using a bore guide when cleaning with a Tipton one piece rod and a brass cleaning jag, in order to prevent damaging the chamber/rifling? I thank you all in advance for your thoughts/ suggestions.

For Black Bear using a 30-06, any 180 grain Soft point will do just fine. As far as using a bore guide I find it a must!

Comment

You can make a good bore guide for a bolt gun or single shot by drilling out the base of a fired case to bore diameter. Chamber the case and run your rod thru it.

Comment

For bears your doing fine.

Comment

I would go for the lung shot behind the shoulder.

Comment

Silver tips are great bullets , I've used them for years but I've found that they have a tendency to seperate upon impact, which is fine for deer sized game but for bear you might want to buy a box of Remington Corelocs. Same 180 grain and they're only about 17.00 a box but they are a bonded bullet that won't come apart on heaver muscled game like black bear. Definatly shoot for right behind the front shoulder not into it.

Comment

I have shot the original Win Silver tip all my life this is the one with the alloy tip you should'nt have a problem taken a bear with that bullet. But $45 sounds a little steap there usally about $25 a box if you go with Trophy Bonded than I would shoot it at every thing.

Comment

I used up all mine on white-tails or I'd send you some.
                Ive never had the opp. to shoot a bear but had an aacuaintence who was a guide for them and you should'nt have a problem. Good luck and good hunting !

Comment

30-06. or 25-06 or a 270 might be a bit much but you can still put em down.

Comment

welcome to the site...that is a great set-up for blackies and I use the exact bullets with good success...you'll do fine...seen any bears out yet? its gonna be another week or two here in alaska...

Comment

I liked Dels Idea about using an old case for a bore guide,I'll be making mine today. Thanks Del in KS.

Comment

i would like to use somthing tougher than a super x

if you could find some swift a frames in 3006 thats what i would use

Comment

Agreed with Walt Smith answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad