Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What superstitions, customs, ceremonies or taboos do you have about hunting or fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What superstitions, customs, ceremonies or taboos do you have about hunting or fishing?

What superstitions, customs, ceremonies or taboos do you have about hunting or fishing?

When I go fishing I always sacrifice a little of whatever I have with me to the spirit of the lake or river I am fishing. My friends will attest to the number of times that a fish has bitten within seconds of doing so.
    Same thing when hunting and I never forget to thank the animal for sharing its life with me so I can feed my family.

Comment

I never seem to eat breakfast when I go out hunting or fishing in the morning. It's not that I plan this, it just ends up taking longer than expected for me to pack the car in the morning and I end up running out of time. I am a big eater and shudder at the thought of missing breakfast, but when I'm doing what I love it's not so bad. I always tell people that the outdoors is the only thing that will get me up at 4 in the morning so that I can starve and shiver in a field in hopes that I might have a few seconds of glory.

Comment

At one creek that my friends and I fish frequently at, we tap a certain birch tree with our rod tips if we caught some fish. I don't know why we do this. We just do

Comment

Another negative vote without the courtesy of a reply or comment. At least have the guts to identify yourself and the problem you have with my comment.

Comment

Don't feel bad chuckles, I just leave my negative there. I guess I pissed someone off and I deserve it. So sorry.

Comment

Chuckles: I added a positive vote to offset the negative because I really like your idea.
              I suppose my oddity is an old red silk scarf that I wear on every big game hunt. Some of you might be aware of the various purposes served by a "wild rag" and I have used this one for most of them. I usually have a successful hunt with this scarf although last year was an exception but at least the grizzly my son and I rode accidently rode upon way to close did not charge. Probably was offended by the appearance of the old rag tied around my neck. I won't hunt without it although I do have a blue backup.

Comment

As far as hunting goes, my only "superstition" is my lucky shirt. I have worn it on a ton of sucessful hunts, but that might just be because I like the shirt. Either way, I'm not changing it.

Fishing, I have several: I always fish on an empty stomach, no bannanas on the boat, and following Hemingway's rule, never have a drink before the first fish is boated.

Comment

I never bow hunt without my old floppy Jones-style hat in an old Vietnam camo pattern. Also, from watching too much of Jimmy Houston on tv, whenever I catch a fish that I'm going to return to the water, I give it a little peck on the head and say "go forth and prosper". The right head dr. would have a field day with me. haha.

Comment

Chuckles, I thought you had a good custom, so I also gave you a good comment +1. Personally, when I hunt days only, I usually don't eat until the hunt is over for the day. It's kinda Cheyenne belief if you go and hunt hungry, the Creator will provide the food for you and your family, in this case, a deer. After harvesting a deer or elk, my buddies and I take (eat) a food offering of the liver, and have a moment of silence for the animal.

Comment

Rez: I understand and believe your custom holds great validity and truth. I know a place with evidence of being a location of Native American presence from long ago. I see the rings and the petroglyphs. Almost every time I go there the wind signals me when it is time for my visit to end. One day my son and I watched rabbits gather in a circle around us while "talking" to each other. I suddenly experienced one of the most tranquil feelings I have ever felt in my life. My son mentioned feeling the same way. Does this gathering mean anything to you as I never had it happen before or since. It lasted for perhaps five minutes as we watched and then the cottontails disappeared back into the rocks. We mounted our horses and rode out of the small canyon totally amazed.
                      I did experience almost the same tranquil feeling back in 1988 when a native gray wolf walked near me, stopped, and stared directly at me. The only other time was 11/2/09 when my son and I accidently rode up much closer to a grizzley bear than I would have cared to be. The bear just watched us for several minutes. Oddly enough neither the wolf or the bear yielded as strong a feeling as the rabbits in "the hole".

Comment

Rez, wow man I couldn't do it without at least a peanut butter jelly sandwich and water.

Comment

Other than my "lucky" pants, no not really.

Comment

Jim in Mo, the key word is 1 day, not a whole huntin' trip.

Comment

I have heard that there is sometype of prayer that you say over fallen game but i dont really know what it is.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad