Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What rules do you and your hunting buddies have for hunting spots you or they scout out and find. We operate under the "if I sh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What rules do you and your hunting buddies have for hunting spots you or they scout out and find. We operate under the "if I sh

What rules do you and your hunting buddies have for hunting spots you or they scout out and find. We operate under the "if I show it to you, you can only hunt it with me unless otherwise authorized" rule. You of course can't claim whole geographic areas, but applies to small geographic places and private ground that has had permission granted.

Yeah, my buddies have that same rule. I've actually invited my buddies to scout for elk and mule deer in August and have yet to have any takers. One day last fall, I counted 3 Bulls and 7 decent Muley Bucks (at least 24" wide or wider), and not one of my 3-4 buddies I asked came with me. I scouted for at least 6 hours and saw as much as I did the following Archery and Rifle Seasons! My friends then asked me where I saw the Bulls and I said, I'll show you when you come hunting with me. They don't like to get up as early as I do (4:00 AM) and drive to the spot about 50 miles from my house. Funny, but I was deployed for Hurricane Relief efforts during most of September and missed the first 3 weeks of Archery Season. So, hopefully this comming late August, my buddies will smarten-up, not be lazy and come scout with me!

Comment

We generally acknowledge who's spot it is and respect that. We often share or encourage each other to go to certain honey-holes. If you miss a year though, somebody gets your spot, it's now theirs!

Comment

It's a good rule and one that gets you invited back if you are smart enough to follow it, even if you aren't told to.

Comment

On numerous occasions, the reason I could not hunt on private property is some clown brought a friend and his friend came back with all his friends.

This is the reason I like to hunt alone besides having my sidekick Alex my Grandson!

Awsome Young Man!!!

Comment

Hey idahooutdoors

That picture, you didn't shoot some fella's Big Mule and strick horns on it did'ya!

Nice Mullie Sir!

Comment

The informal rule on my spot which I "split" w/2 other guys is " you can bring your kids hunting, not your friends", and "My stand's here, keep away if I'm hunting".

Comment

Clay, Lucked into a bigger muley this year, but pulled a dumb move and shot a horn off with a finishing shot, so didn't get a good AVATAR pic with it. Luckly the Taxi fixed my mistake, and you can barely see the damage the .243 inflicted.

Comment

I hunt a piece of public land that's so obvious, it actually get's overlooked. I came up with a theory about the elk herd's utilizing the area and I was right. In the 12 yrs. I've been hunting this area I've only invited 2 people into my camp,both with the understanding that they don't share it's whereabout's.Both have been faithful about keeping quiet.I've experienced to many "honey holes" being overrun the following yr.by talking to much. I put the effort into finding these area's and if I invite you,we agree to keep quiet.

Comment

Agreed with steve182 answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad