Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best way to hunt wild hogs on private land they are comng to 1 field and i ca't time them and when i do will a .308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best way to hunt wild hogs on private land they are comng to 1 field and i ca't time them and when i do will a .308

what is the best way to hunt wild hogs on private land they are comng to 1 field and i ca't time them and when i do will a .308 win knock them down or would something heavier like a .35 be better ?

A .308 should be fine. If you have a .35 Remington lever gun, you have a gun that was practically made for pigs. Anything in .358 Win would be great too. If you have a .35 Whelen or .350 Magnum, go for it.

Comment

Talk to your game warden and he may give you a permit to hunt nuisance hogs at night. Soured corn and red lensed spotlight with your .308 should do the trick.

Comment

the .308 is perfectly adequate. Shoot'm just behind the shoulder.

Comment

I think your going to have to spend some very early mornings and late evenings for them. .308 is very good.

Comment

Excellant Sir Shane!

Comment

your 308 has more than enough to take down a hog hell a 223 would do the trick with proper shot placement

Comment

Yeah def 308 will work. As far as when to find them, its gonna be right before sunset to right after sunrise. We usually either spot light them or bait them (dont know what your state allows). Sour corn works well, also i have heard good things about a product called hogwild. Hope that helps.

Comment

.308 kills 'em deader than a mackerel. Can you bait in your area? If so I'd set up an auto feeder(w/ timer) give them a few days to learn the routine then start lighting them up! Good luck and good hunting.

Comment

For what it is worth the only two hogs I have ever shot was with a .357 magnum handgun with hot reloads. One shot to the head from my tree stand did the trick both times. Both shots were a matter of feet so the pig got the full effect. This actually was incidental to deer hunting and eliminated the possibility of killing a buck that day. A .308 should be adequate but Shane's idea of a .35 Rem is about as good of a choice as I can think of especially coming from a Marlin 336. I always thought this cartridge was generally under rated.

Comment

.308!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad