Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm doing a little research. How many of you folks depend on public land or private land in public access programs as your only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm doing a little research. How many of you folks depend on public land or private land in public access programs as your only

I'm doing a little research. How many of you folks depend on public land or private land in public access programs as your only option for big game hunting access?

Here in Wyoming 95% public land, 5% private (even some of that private is "Walk-in" areas of private land whereby owners agree with the state to allow sportsmen to legally trespass).

Comment

I hunt private land in central SC. Not much public land left to hunt here and not real safe to hunt it.

Comment

I primarily hunt public land for archery and rifle season. I hope Montana Legislators will open-up more access to public land through easements via private lands and limit tags to outfitters and landowners. If worst comes to worst, I can hunt my tribe's land for deer, elk and pronghorn.

Comment

I am relatively new to the sport and live in New York state where 85% of the land is privately owned. There are some public lands in the area which I use, though I try to only use them on certain days to avoid crowds. We get a lot of New Jersey hunters using public lands in NY because NJ is a densely populated state with very few public hunting areas and bear hunting is not allowed unless special permits are granted as they were about 6 years ago, however this is rare even though black bears have become a nuisance in many suburban areas and state parks in New Jersey.

Comment

I hunt alot of public land and I also trade labor/access to some private land too. W.M.A s are not as some would think espiecialy if you get in early,get away from the roads and let the others push deer to you.

Comment

I'm a 100% freelance public land hunter/fisherman. Leases are a leading reason our numbers are dropping. It's known as lack of access. I work much harder than most and definetely harder than the leased access crowd and I enjoy the same level of sucess. The difference is I get to enjoy the outdoors more days per year instead of nearly assured sucessin one day being outdoors

Comment

I hunt public land almost exclusively in NJ and PA. Any "private" land i hunt is anything but, meaning they let anyone hunt. I do intend to get a bit more proactive. Knock on doors, write letters, etc to gain access to better private land. I enjoy public land hunting though. As mentioned above, just get a little farther off the road than most go and the hunting can be great. Granted 'trophy' caliber deer are a bit harder to come by, but they're true trophies.

Comment

I hunt private land and have never hunted public. I have heard that the hunting is totally different because of the hunting pressure and people being around all over the place.

Comment

I am limited to hunting public land whatever it is or where ever it is

Comment

if you want to score on something huge, get some private land. you won't get bothered by other hunters and the game is more calm and relaxed.

Comment

I hunt private land!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad