Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is kind of random, but do you think a sniper rifle make a good hunting gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter_3
    replied
    That's kind of like asking if a rocket launcher is OK for starting a fire

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    $$$

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    $$$

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    $$$

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    $$$

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    $$$

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    $$$

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    I think the Remmy 700 will fulfill your needs, as for caliber .308, 270, or 3006 along with some good optics on top, will fulfill what ever challenges you put to this platform.

Leave a comment:

• FloridaHunter1226
    replied
    Would be a great gun as long as the caliber is right for the animal you are hunting and you are going to be shooting from a stable position.

Leave a comment:

• Bigbuck14
    replied
    it will definantly get the job done but use a .308 tactical

Leave a comment:

• bomberpride
    replied
    Oh yes definantly

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    No I don't think it would be a good hunting rifle although it would have its place. The reason people say it would be a good stand rifle is because due to the 24-26 inch bull barrels are rather heavy and unwieldy. I don't think that they would be good hunting rifles based on this; I had a Remington Sendero back in my younger days and it was HEAVY about a 12 pound gun. The 26 inch barrel would hang on every briar, limb, and vine in the woods and it balenced well forward of the action. So it was rather front heavy. After a few miles through the woods or a few hours on your shoulder you were done. Also most Sniper rifles of the Vietnam era had fixed 10x scopes which are too high for most deer hunting.

Now I said all that to say this. If you stand hunt and take all your shots at 200 plus yards then yes the rifle would be fine. I have to walk to all my stands at least 2-300 yards and I usually walk a lot farther than that during a hunt. I refuse to carry a rifle that is over 8-9 pounds topped out.

That's my $.02 worth

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    if i were buying i would go with a remingtom m 40 308.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    Acceptable caliber and weight would work fine in some situations such as for big game in the Rockies. I let the horse worry about carrying the rifle most of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    Thanks you guys for the info.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to TGIF; 15 minutes of fame
    by fitch270
    And The Proclaimers.

Could have posted this last week too.

Today, 11:34 PM
  • TGIF; 15 minutes of fame
    by fitch270
    Every week we have a number of go to artists and bands we link to, nothing wrong with that but what makes these threads really interesting are the forgotten...
    Yesterday, 08:45 PM
    by fitch270
    Couple Scottish bands

The bagpipe sound in this is actually from guitars.

Today, 11:32 PM
    by fitch270
    Took a break this evening for a HS football away game. We played one of the toughest teams in our league on the road, under the lights on a turf field...
    Today, 11:29 PM
  • Reply to The times, they are a-changin'!
    by fitch270
    Shotguns are pointed, rifles are aimed. I seriously doubt an AR shotgun has any wing shooting feel to it at all. Home defense and turkeys sure, but no...
    Today, 11:23 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X