Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is kind of random, but do you think a sniper rifle make a good hunting gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it depends on the shooter. Myself, I just don't shoot enough to feel comfortable making those longer shots. I do know a guy in CO that I use to run around with that consistently shot coyotes at long distances. I saw him, we even had it on video, shoot a coyote at 1,000 yds. That is a little out of my comfort area, but for those that shoot all the time, more power to you. You may even see him sometime on the show "Best of the West".

Comment

What type of caliber are you talking about? I think that it is great. Hone your skills. If you can make an ethical kill at more than 500 yds. more power to you. I have seen a .50 cal sniper rifle for sale before at Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage, AK before. I would say that would be OVERkill.

Comment

The only problem I have with guns that are called “sniper rifles” is they tend to get very heavy with their heavy contour barrels and large optics.

Comment

Thanks you guys for the info.

Comment

Acceptable caliber and weight would work fine in some situations such as for big game in the Rockies. I let the horse worry about carrying the rifle most of the time.

Comment

if i were buying i would go with a remingtom m 40 308.

Comment

No I don't think it would be a good hunting rifle although it would have its place. The reason people say it would be a good stand rifle is because due to the 24-26 inch bull barrels are rather heavy and unwieldy. I don't think that they would be good hunting rifles based on this; I had a Remington Sendero back in my younger days and it was HEAVY about a 12 pound gun. The 26 inch barrel would hang on every briar, limb, and vine in the woods and it balenced well forward of the action. So it was rather front heavy. After a few miles through the woods or a few hours on your shoulder you were done. Also most Sniper rifles of the Vietnam era had fixed 10x scopes which are too high for most deer hunting.

Now I said all that to say this. If you stand hunt and take all your shots at 200 plus yards then yes the rifle would be fine. I have to walk to all my stands at least 2-300 yards and I usually walk a lot farther than that during a hunt. I refuse to carry a rifle that is over 8-9 pounds topped out.

That's my $.02 worth

Comment

Oh yes definantly

Comment

it will definantly get the job done but use a .308 tactical

Comment

Would be a great gun as long as the caliber is right for the animal you are hunting and you are going to be shooting from a stable position.

Comment

I think the Remmy 700 will fulfill your needs, as for caliber .308, 270, or 3006 along with some good optics on top, will fulfill what ever challenges you put to this platform.

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad