Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is kind of random, but do you think a sniper rifle make a good hunting gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is kind of random, but do you think a sniper rifle make a good hunting gun?

This is kind of random, but do you think a sniper rifle make a good hunting gun?

I don't see why not. What caliber is it?

Comment

What are you hunting and where? In my opinion a rifle is only as good as the guy pulling the trigger.

I love making long distance shots on varmit but not with big game. It becomes a question of whether you are making ethical shots.

I wouldn't use a sniper rifle in heavy cover but out West where the land is more open the sniper rifle might be the ticket.

Comment

Savage tactical .308 would be a great gun from large varmints to elk.

Comment

It would be a great gun for a stand hunter.

Comment

I would think that a sniper rifle would be fine for hunting as long as your comfortable and practiced in shooting with it. No matter how accurate the rifle may be, if you don't practice with it in hunting type situations, you never know how you'll do with it. If your comfortable and practiced with it, by all means you should use it, but there's no sense in using a sniper rifle unless you plan on some long range shots, so take into consideration what type of terrain you are going to be hunting.

Comment

Ya, I guess it would work for long range hunting for big game. I wouldn't take one deer hunting where no more than 100 yard shots are going to be made, but I think you could get one to work with practice.

Comment

i guess it is kinda unethical and takes the sport out of pursuing big game but would be good for varmints.

Comment

Of course it would the military has used a sniper rifle based on the model 700 for a very long time, you would have excellent optics and if it would take down a person it would surely take down a deer or larger sized game.

Comment

Question for the posters...
                    Why do 2 people feel it would not make a good gun for a stand hunter? Just curious. Your never to old to learn.

Comment

will definatly mak the hunt a lot easier. doesnt seem as fun as stalking the animal though

Comment

Yes, typically a sniper rifle chambers rounds from a .227 all the way to .50 calliber. These guns would be great because they are built by military specs and would be able to handle more wear and tear than your average gun. I wouldnt mind using a Dragunov bucause they are light weight and are semi-automatic. Also, the Russains are known for making good firearms

Comment

Buckhunter: you are right. It would be an excellent rifle for stand hunting. After all, arent most bolt action deer rifles similar to sniper rifles? Lots of them carry the high power scopes desinged for one shot kills at long distances. Accuracy is one of the most important skills in hunting and a sniper rifle would do nothing but help that in the hands of an experienced marksman.

Comment

Sorry, I meant Del in Kansas that I agree with. Not buckhunter.

Comment

It depends what kind. Most are hard to get your hands on and are heavy and lets not forget expensive.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad