Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Wolf Coalition" is a group of Wyoming sportsmen, business associations, and insurance companies whose goal is to de-list th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ken.mcloud
    replied
    and for the record-

I am FOR responsible wolf hunting seasons that allow the ecosystem to maintain a natural balance.

I am AGAINST the kind of near-extermination hunting policies that have been suggested by Idaho and Wyoming.

also, though in general I support a limited government, I recognize the right of the federal government to supersede the states on environmental issues. The environment belongs to all of us not just the people of any one state.

Leave a comment:

• ken.mcloud
    replied
    Shane - Finally, someone on this site who agrees with me.

Lets straiten some things out-
    1)first, this is NOT a debate over weather or not the wolf is in danger of being extinct.

2)This IS a debate over weather or not predators belong in our modern, healthy ecosystems.

3)The feds are not allowing Wyoming to have control over wolf conservation policy. This is NOT because the feds are evil overlords bent on dominating the lowly farmers. This IS because Wyoming has clearly stated that they have no intention to instate any conservation policy at all.

The state officials apparently don't understand the most basic concepts of ecology, so they want to go back to an circa 1890 exterminate-all-predators policy.

Guys, you are entitled to your opinions but don't fool yourself into thinking they are reasonable opinions. Science is quite clear on these things:

-predators are necessary for healthy ecosystems.

-hunters can play a role in a healthy ecosystems, however they do NOT replace predators.

-The deer and elk populations were "out of control" for most of the 1900's, this was because there were no natural predators. Wolf populations cannot be "out of control" because if they were, dropping prey populations would limit their growth.

None of the above facts are even remotely debated among scientists with even a basic understanding of ecology.

Also, this "shoot shovel and shut up" notion is not a noble way to rise up against the oppressive government. It is an ignorant way to break the law and ignore scientific reality.

Leave a comment:

• wallofsam
    replied
    Maybe Michigan should start a chapter of the "Wolf Coalition" in our Upper Peninsula. They decimate the deer/moose population, and our beloved DNR says they are not the cause of the declining herds. Eventhough winterkill has been extremely low the last couple years, it is supposedly still the culprit. I say shoot, shovel, and shut up! If the DNR isn't going to take care of the problem, maybe sportsman will have to cull the packs.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    In most places, I am for wolf delisting. But to say they are aliens and don't belong there is a little off base. I've been out there, I've seen the ecosystem, I've talked with biologists that also happen to be hunters, and we all agree that the ecosystem is about as close to as it should be/was as it ever will be. Biodiversity is up. Species that have been missing are back. Some limited wolf hunting in many places is about due now too, but eliminating or decimating the wolf population again would be selfish, foolish, and would reek of anthropic bias.

There are still plenty of elk. I almost hit a few in the road. They are still all over. They aren't supposed to be just everywhere and easy to hunt. They aren't whitetail deer. If you want to shoot animals that are everywhere and easy to find, come east and shoot whitetails. This is me assuming that you are one of the many that have complained about the lowered elk numbers. I could be wrong.

Deer, elk, and bears have survived millennia of wolves. They will carry on as they always have.

As for the ranchers, get out your rifles. If you want to ranch in wolf country, you have to deal with wolves.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    The native wolves were here before the introduction, I first encountered them in 1988. The wolves brought here by the feds were from Canada, I believe they indeed are aliens as I see no sign of American citizenship although I suppose their offspring do qualify. There was a purpose in the "wolfers" (yes this was a trade in the 1880's and 90's) and indeed it was to eliminate the native wolves on behalf of the stockmen. They almost totally performed this task. Nevertheless, the present wolf condition is rapidly getting out of control mainly due to little or no control from the feds who won't allow Wyoming to manage the situation. The ecosystem is suffering greatly due to this poor decision made by "knowledgeable" bureaucrats. Again I ask, shane do you want these animals running through your woods chasing and catching the deer you hunt, your dogs and horses, and you? If so come to Wyoming pick up a pair and haul their butts home with you. The best visual examples I can offer are on Youtube. Give a look at what wolves can do to deer, elk, and bears. There is a reason that you can buy two wolf tags in many parts of Canada. We only want one tag each in Wyoming.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    Killing off a species and then reintroducing them doesn't qualify them as aliens. You might be sick of wolves, but the ecosystem isn't.

Leave a comment:

• The "Wolf Coalition" is a group of Wyoming sportsmen, business associations, and insurance companies whose goal is to de-list th

The "Wolf Coalition" is a group of Wyoming sportsmen, business associations, and insurance companies whose goal is to de-list the non-native Canadian gray wolf introduced into our beloved mountains by the USFW back in the nineties. Consequently all original criteria has been met or exceeded insofar as number of breeding pairs and packs. The feds will not accept Wyoming's action plan. These alien creatures are devouring our game herds in spite of the bogus statistics presented nationally by the employees of the USFW. Consequently the "Wolf Coalition" attorneys announced on April 2 that they intend to sue the U.S. Secretary of Interior, the USFW and it national director as well as the Rocky Mountain Region director. Wyoming is sick of wolves, do you want these 120 plus pound animals feeding on big game in your neck of the woods?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How come the Amish aren't all dead?
    by Pmacc60
    Why post something like fact check and make a statement like Amish have dug a lot of graves. ? Fact check only says Amish are effected by Covid 19’...
    Today, 12:50 AM
  • How come the Amish aren't all dead?
    by labrador12
    The Amish Community have largely ignored the Covid bullcrap, got the virus, and continued on their way. Herd immunity and disregard for the vaccine played...
    10-11-2021, 08:52 AM
  • Reply to TGIF: Fired Up Friday
    by jhjimbo
    Duran Duran in the news - another alblum. I did not know they were still kicking....
    Today, 12:25 AM
  • TGIF: Fired Up Friday
    by fitch270
    Easy one this week that should cover all kinds of styles.

Lighting it up with one from The Cult

”Fire Woman”...
    10-22-2021, 07:47 AM
  • Reply to May Use This One
    by jhjimbo
    When I first got it only Norma ammo was readly available. now several load for it as do I....
    Today, 12:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X