Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever lost a deer or an elk, after shooting it and/or wounding it? If so, how did it make you feel? What did you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever lost a deer or an elk, after shooting it and/or wounding it? If so, how did it make you feel? What did you do?

Has anyone ever lost a deer or an elk, after shooting it and/or wounding it? If so, how did it make you feel? What did you do?

I lost a bear once, even after spending 2 days tracking it. Felt like crap. Shed hunting the next spring my buddy happened upon it, so at least ended up with the skull. A tough fall bear, so I think it lived for several days before dying, as we had looked in the spot where it was found in the spring.

Comment

I personally never had that problem, however for those and once again, ken.mcloud said it best! “So, I think that the superior killing power of larger rounds is largely in our heads.(likely testosterone induced) A flat-shooting round that you can accurately place will produce as many if not more "bang-flop" kills as a heavy caliber round.”

Those are the ones that really Pi$$ me off unable to handle their equipment not shooting “MOP”!

Comment

yeah i had that once. i think i might of had a bad shot and just wounded the deer. i spent about an hour lookin for it in light, and then when dark came we went home and got a couple spotlights and some other flashlights and kept searching. i felt bad.

Comment

When I was about 16 I shot at a mule deer buck coming up through a field, he jumped in the air and I figured he would go a ways and lay down, but we searched for him for hours, we never found a drop of blood. Not sure if I actually hit him, or I just outright missed. I have always hoped he was still alive somewhere. I sure did feel bad about the whole thing. The following year I bought a new scope, practiced alot and have not missed since.

Comment

My friend and I were muzzleloading on opening day a few years back. We spotted a herd of does and decided we could take two. We low crawled 100 yards and shot at the same time. Once we both found blood we followed it until the edge of the woods. When we asked for permission to go get the deer the lady was watching us from the road. She told us no, she called the police and said we were shooting from the road. Untrue, after all the hassle was takin care of we asked the trooper and NYDEC if we could get our wounded deer. They both said there is nothing we can do if she will not give you permission. This pissed me off so much becuase we had two defined blood trails and the deer just died somewhere.

Comment

I took an ill advised shot at a trotting buck once, in waning light. It was only aboout 60 yds. I was at camp alone, with no help. After the shot, i lost sight of the buck. After 15 or 20 min, i headed to look for sign of a hit or (probable)miss. It was considerably darker now, and i saw the buck run off, not sure if it had fallen, bedded or just stood there. I looked for 10 mins. in the are of the shot and found nothing. I decided to come back int
              the am since it was cold that night. Again i found no sign of a hit, no blood or hair. I did however find hoove marks and feces patterns that made me think i may've hit the deer. I searched, eventually with help, following the tracks and scattered feces into the swamp, where it was impossible to follow. I am not sure i even hit this deer, but the uncertainty has haunted me for years.

Comment

btw, i looked all day for two days, no blood, hide or hair. still makes me ill

Comment

I lost a doe i shot with my bow this past fall. It was 23 yards, the shot looked and felt perfect, she took 3 steps and stood and looked at me. I couldn't believe I missed. She then calmly walked away. There was a dusting of fresh snow on the ground as I got down from my stand to check out the shot. There was no hair or blood at the spot of the shot but 20 yards down the trail she left on I found loads of blotchy blood. I stopped, figuring from her reaction that the shot may not have been the best and went back to my stand and waited for 2 hours. I then got down and started to trail with my brother. She only bled for 15 yards and then we followed her trail for another 100 and only found 1 more drop of blood. Again figuring the shot may not have been good we decided to let it go and come back again tomorrow hoping to let the deer bed down and bleed out before we chased it into the next county. The next morning my father uncle and I looked for hours, we found the arrow, bloody and unbroken, it had been a complete pass through. But hours of searching and maybe technically a little trespassing we couldn't find her. I don't know if I should have pushed her more the first night or if I pushed too hard, I don't even know if the hit was fatal, but I do know I have thought about it often and am very disappointed I never found her. Any of you have any ideas about what happened or how I may have messed up?

Comment

yea. it was supposed to be my first whitetail buck but i made a bad off hand shot. i was very upset after i lost em. i couldnt beleive he got away like that.

Comment

I lost a doe last year, i was hunting on a really thick property, and i trailed her for about 30 yards- then the blood trail stopped. i searched for 2 days but never saw another sighn of her. I felt... and still feel horrible about it.

Comment

I only bowhunt. If I draw blood on a buck I consider my tag filled whether I find him or not. I rarely miss or take bad shots because I know I only have one chance. I will continue to hunt does for meat. 2004 was the last time I wounded an animal. It was a good shot but the deer hid and died in the damnest place and I walked past him for weeks and never saw him. The farmer found him months later.

Comment

I've lost a few elk due to poor shot placement by clients, mostly by rifle hunters who think because they have the hottest magnum they don't have to aim, the animal will just fall over.

Golfing Sportsman:
                          I had a similar experience to yours. I drilled a mulie buck with an arrow at about 15 yards broadside, complete pass through, felt great about the shot. My buddy with me also called the shot a good one, but we waited about two hours before following. Good blood trail on the snow for about 200 yards, then suddenly just drops and then dried up completely. We backed off, hoping the deer would bed up, but no dice. We followed tracks for another 1/4 mile until they hit a game trail and were lost in other tracks. My buddy and I spent 3 days body hunting that deer, but never could find it. To this day I have no idea how that shot didn't kill him, but I think about it often. Kills me to lose an animal.

Comment

I have accidently spine shot a deer once and it went down right were it was so I put another shot into it and as I was reloading my gun it got up and ran we tracked it forever. Then two weeks later my grandpa was hunting from the same stand and he saw it again and he shot it but you could see were I had shot it two weeks ago.

Comment

About ten years ago I shot a doe with my .270. She jumpped and kicked. I went to where she was, found blood and started tracking. I lost and found the blood trail several time. She ran over a mile toward the creek, which is where I figured I'd find her. I found the spot she crossed the creek, ran another 200 yards through the woods to a large two year old clear cut. I found one spot of blood about ten yards into the clearing then nothing. I started making sweeping half circles until I got to the other side of the clearing then back and never found anything. I never found another sign. I don't know what happened. The blood I found at the shot sight was lighter and a bit frothy so I thought I had a lung hit. It still bothers me today. I went back to the paper and put six shots in 2".

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad