Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

idahooutdoors have you ever hear of anyone eating mountain lion? Just wondering talked to a guy that told they tasted like bear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idahooutdoors have you ever hear of anyone eating mountain lion? Just wondering talked to a guy that told they tasted like bear.

idahooutdoors have you ever hear of anyone eating mountain lion? Just wondering talked to a guy that told they tasted like bear. What are your thoughts?

I've seen Nuge talk about eating them.

Comment

I heard some old guys in their late 80's talkin about how they used to eat mountain lion steaks- but im not shure if they were being serious or just telling stories.

Comment

honestly ive never heard of it at all. seems like it would be an exotic meal.

Comment

I was in attendance at a barbeque here in Wyoming about fifteen years ago and was asked by the person giving the party to assist him in transporting some platters of meat to the outdoor grill. I remarked that the plate of pork tenderloins certainly looked exceptionally good. He replied something like "don't eat that shxx, its cat". Consequently I did not touch the finished cooked product but folks who did without knowing it was mountain lion remarked that it was excellent. I decided to stay with the black angus filets after first determining that all of my friend's horses were alive and well in the corral. Sometimes one can't be too careful.

Comment

mountain lion = bear = buffalo = venison = turkey = chicken = everything. So, mountain lion = everything.

Comment

If i shot it, or one of my hunting buddies shot it, i'd try the tenderloins and/or loins. Otherwise, not putting any cat on my table. And i don't like chinese food either.

Comment

I have read that the old mountain men loved mountain lion meat and beaver tail above just about anything else.

Comment

If it tastes like bear I'd try it. Bear burgers are excellent. But the meat was mixed 50/50 with pork. It had a tiny bit of gamey flavor, but thats what I liked about it. No different than shooting a buck from MI Upper Peninsula.

Comment

Mt Lion backstrap is excellent. I prefer it with a mayo catsup hot sauce on the side. Cat back straps are large for the size of the animal. Don't turn it down if you have a chance, You"ll be pleasantly surprised. Convinced a PH in Namibia to try Leopard back strap, all found it to be quite good. Perhaps they were working on their tips.

Comment

Never tried it myself. I imagine if cooked right it could be OK. Probably better than what your mind would lead you to believe. I would think it may be somewhat gamy tasting and tough, I may have to try sometime, just to say I did.

Comment

Agreed with Happy Myles answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad