Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ive been out at my hunting camp getting things ready for spring black bear, which is fast approaching...Does anyone else hunt be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ive been out at my hunting camp getting things ready for spring black bear, which is fast approaching...Does anyone else hunt be

Ive been out at my hunting camp getting things ready for spring black bear, which is fast approaching...Does anyone else hunt bear? what method?

NICE WINKLE PICTURE! by the way.

What state you in AK? and what part?

Comment

Clay Cooper: thanks kind sir, that was last yr's bull, a last-day-of-the-season moose...

Yes, AK, North Pole area...

Comment

O'ya, no joke! I'm jealous!!! I was dar at Eielson June 86-90! Is Ron Sparks Shooting Supplies still around?

Go out on Brigadier Trail until it crosses a creek, damn good hunting and bring an extra tank of gas, you’ll need it!

By the way, I was the Director for High Power Competition for TVSA in Fairbanks.

Hey, if you run into Randy Pitney out at the UofA, tell him Clay Cooper from the US Air Force Team (now retired) says hi!

If you run into any of those old farts from 86-90 still around, they can tell you some pretty wild stories about us on the Base Range! Caught a tree stump on fire January 89 at the end of the range shooting tracers out of my M1A. Had some Doubting Thomas’s, they said I couldn’t hit it yet alone with open sights! 20 out of 20 rapid fife sitting proved them wrong, it was a good 600ish yards!

Comment

Del in ks whas there also!

Comment

I have hunted bear several times. I have never killed one but been on a few successful hunts. Me and my campmates did a small silent drive on a flat mountaintop thick with laurel. Of 7 hunters we took two mature bears and flushed one more. On another occassion we all pot hunted an area, covering a whole hillside, and killed one. Nowadays i don't usually make bear season, as i spend more time archery hunting deer, and family keeps me closer to home more often. I'll do it again when i can.

Comment

KingFisher907

Where are you planing to go caribou hunting next August?

Comment

Yes but only in the fall. Mostly run them with dogs.

Comment

Clay Cooper,
                  did you ever spend any time out on the taylor highway? I usually hunt 'bou out that way but this year Im thinking of switching and heading up the steese to hunt the 40-mile herd, which is a little closer to home...yep ron sparks' place is still there on the rich highway, did you ever know old joe nava?

Comment

Clay, Youre the #1 poster, awesome!
                    hope they choose you as a gear tester...

Comment

Taylor Mountain is pretty good on top towards the Westside, but the place I hunted is called buckskin ridge. I always Camp out at the Chicken Post Office and go north to the top of the ridge and turn left all the way before the trail drops off to the right and before you drop off, look to the west on that ridge and setup to glass the river/creek below and the other side. If you do drop off to the north/right be careful not to take the trail that splits to the left because it is really steep.

Another hot spot is up past chicken, keep going until the road forks. Take the left fork (latitude 64.1385N, Longitude 141.3392W) and watch carefully fro Caribou crossing. Take and explore the cat trails that take off to the west and you find a few Grizzly and Winkles back in there.

Find a high advantage point and glass for at least an hour and be very patient and I mean patient, there is more out there than you think!

Cary and extra tank of gas and a small dome tent, you may just need it!!!

Comment

By the way a must to carry out their, is “SPOT”, Emergency Positioning, Radio Beacon. Not only it has Satellite 911 and a programmable help and I’m “OK”, but your wife and others can track your location. Just remember to reactivate the tracking (flashing green "OK" light) every 24 hours. Every year, I came across someone that needed “Air Vac” out. My 50 watt VHF Ham Radio I had to get on Government frequencies to summon help.

Comment

http://findmespot.com/en/

Comment

Baiting is probably the most effective. I prefer spot and stalk spring backpacking trips though just for shear fun. I like to get back into drainages and glass the open grassy clear cuts and burns, also hunt this way since I can tie into looking for sheds. Good way to burn off the winter fat, get ready for summer hiking trips and see how my elk herds are holding up after the winter.

Comment

I'd love to bear hunt in any way shape or form.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by PigHunter
                                I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                                Today, 02:16 PM
                              • Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                                Today, 12:21 PM
                              • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                                by fitch270
                                I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                                Today, 01:40 PM
                              • 300 yard .22lr
                                by jhjimbo
                                Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                                Today, 11:28 AM
                              • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                                Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X