Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone shot an alligator? If so how was it, and what did you shoot it with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone shot an alligator? If so how was it, and what did you shoot it with?

Has anyone shot an alligator? If so how was it, and what did you shoot it with?

Nope but my buddies get permits evry few years. They rope the gator first then shoot it in the head with a 38 special. I like the way it tastes- kinda like mildly gamey chicken

Comment

never shot one but I hear theyre fairly tasty...

Comment

Never shot one but they taste great. It resembles chicken but it is a little chewyer. I love it.

Comment

i haven't but i was at the zoo today and the alligators there didn't move at all so if the one you shoot is like these it should be easy

Comment

I have killed many, With everything from a shotgun slug to a pocket knife. The pocket knife gator was a six footer that I caught by hand while frogging. I was in the water pushing the boat in chest deep water and he would not leave me alone so I grabbed him by the head and turned him upside down in the water. Originally I just cut his throat and tossed him into the boat with my wife. He was not dead and it turned into a rodeo real fast, so I had to climb into the boat, subdued the gator and decapitated it. That is the last time I go frogging without some type of firearm. When shooting a gator the steeper the angle the better. It is best if you can shoot straight down, between and slightly behind the eyes.

As for the taste; it is more fishy than chickeny in my opinion. The size of the gator has alot to do with texture and flavor, similar to other animals the older, bigger gators (over 10') seem to be tough and gamey.

Comment

Tastes like chicken!

Comment

A little like chicken crossed with rattlesnake and fried clams. Delicious!

Comment

Never hunted it or ate it.

Comment

Agreed with teufelhunden answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad