Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I go Elk hunting the choices are 30-06, 25-06, or 350 Rem. mag. Which one should I carry? Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I go Elk hunting the choices are 30-06, 25-06, or 350 Rem. mag. Which one should I carry? Why?

When I go Elk hunting the choices are 30-06, 25-06, or 350 Rem. mag. Which one should I carry? Why?

All of them will do the job, I would take the one you sre the most comfortable with.

Comment

I agree with rrmont, take the one you shoot the best. I would also take into consideration the type of country you will be hunting in, as in possible ranges at which you will be taking shots from. Whatever you choose, get a good solid bullet, especially with the 25-06, you want good penetration, and some bullets for that caliber may give you issues with over expansion and lack of penetration.

Comment

Whichever one you haven't used for elk, yet. Why? Because they should all work with the right bullet. Otherwise, I'd consider which bullets you want to try out, the terrain you'll be hunting, the scope you have mounted, and whether you're willing to bang up the gun.

There's been so much talk here about the .25-06 that I think a lot of people would like to see you use that.

The .30-06 has taken so many that it's ... yawn ... just another elk taken with old dependable.

The .350 Rem. Mag - that just makes me smile because I love .35s and know that should work just fine.

Comment

If recoil is not an issue, the 30 06 would be my choice. I've taken elk with my 257 Ackley Improved with no problem, and it is similar to the 25 06. I've also killed several elk with the 35 Whelen and the 358 Norma, which pretty well bracket the 35 Rem Mag. The 06 would be my choice of this group. We tend to over intellectualize elk and deer hunting. Your first shot is your best one, use it wisely.

Comment

Hey Del, I've been trying to send you your wild plum jam to no avail. Need some mailing help. Kindest Regards Happy

Comment

The old .350 is a neat cartridge. No doubt it will deliver the goods. Do you need all the thump? Probably not. No doubt the old '06 will get it done.

I'm a big 25/06 fan, but... I know it's been done even on large bulls. To me that is kind of like shooting a deer with a .22/250 it works with a good bullet and good placement, but is it the best tool for the job? As I related in your previous post a buddy of mine bang/flopped an average cow with a 100 grain Barnes X. I believe deep down he would still have preferred something bigger.

In the timber I would definitely tote the .350, what the heck give your old .350 another dance around the room!

Comment

30-06 it is a power gun it is easy to carry and it shoots 400 yards that what i shot my mule deer with.

Comment

Everything else being equal, I would go with the 30-06. It delivers a heavier bullet than the 25-06 and it will likely be easier to find good quality bullets for better penetration. The .350 would certainly get the job done, too, but wouldn't be nearly as flat as the 30-06 if you need to reach out there. My vote always goes to the flattest cartidge with enough oomph to get it done reliably.

Comment

I would carry a .350 Rem Mag definetly not a 25-06 they don't have the range of any of the other guns.

Comment

30-06 is my choice because of penetration,knock down amd distance,there is so many uses and grain weight chices to pick from.

Comment

PotterMan96
                        So that Elk I shot at 237 yds with 117 gr in 25-06 must have been in range . Sure tasted good.

Comment

Dell if you think your shots will be 300 yards or under what the hell it will not have a problem puting a elk down. Half the guys in the town I live in keep telling me you cant kill anything with a 7mm, but a 270 is just dandy well I prove them wrong every year. The choice is shoot the one you think best.

Comment

Use the .350!

Comment

potterman, in another post, you didn't even know what a 25-06 was. a 25-06 DOES have great range. 500 yard shots if necessary. Del, i would go with the 25-06. it makes a good story when you're telling people that you shot an elk with one of the smaller elk calibers. just like MLH said, a 30-06 has taken too many big bulls, yawn, try something different. i would feel it to be more rewarding to kill a huge animal with a small bullet, rather than give it the ole "BANG FLOP"-clay. it's your choice, do what's comfortable to you.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad