Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone shoot an elk with a 25-06? How far? what was the results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone shoot an elk with a 25-06? How far? what was the results?

Anyone shoot an elk with a 25-06? How far? what was the results?

A friend collected an average cow with a 100 grain Barnes X at about 170 yards. Heart/lung broad side. Dropped in her tracks. Bullet was under the hide on the offside. He was mule deer hunting and had a cow tag in his pocket. The opportunity was unexpected. He said he wished for a bigger bullet and/or a bigger rifle at the shot but the results changed his mind.

Comment

ive never even heard of that caliber.

Comment

Del, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I have killed several elk with my 257 Ackley. None went more than 50 yards. Used 115 grain Nosler Partions at 3000 feet per second, pretty close to 25 06 ballistics. Also, killed my best Rocky Mt Big Horn Sheep with the same load. The round went through both shoulders, with and exit wound two inches in diameter. The sheep lunged forward maybe 20 feed and fell over dead. Kindest Regards

Comment

Del, The range was 150 yards on the sheep

Comment

I have used my 25-06(to hunterkid94,its a necked down 06 cartridge) for all kinds of game, from varmints to large deer. Is fast and works great but just dont think 100 or 117 gr are enough at times and I hate losing animals. shot placement is crucial and like Beekeeper noted, bullet often on far side against hide so no exit hole. tough decision but would hate to lose big Elk by not having enough firepower. just my opinion after a few decades.

Comment

I personaly think it's a little light, like alberta said hate to loose a "big boy". I'm from the Ruark school "Use enough gun". I'd suggest somthing in .30cal. Hope this helps, Good luck and Good hunting.

Comment

As with anything one uses proficiency with your weapon is paramount. I guided for many years in Colo. and saw many a hunter who were not very handy with their weapons big or small. I see no problem with any legal calibered weapon. I killed most of my elk with a Marlin 30/30. My longest shot and also largest bull was at 190 yards from the prone position. I will say , however, that I had to pass up alot of shots over the years due to the size of my weapon!

just my two cents from a former A-Ranger, hunting guide

Comment

Del, you know better! LOL

Comment

I've killed elk with a 25-06 out to 500 yards. dropped them in their tracks.

Comment

I have shot three elk with my 25-06, one at 150 yards, one at 250 yards, and one at about 200 yards. I've never had a problem with knocking the elk down, however the rifle is sighted in VERY accurately and my shots are well placed. I prefer using a small caliber rifle when hunting elk because you can precisely place your shot and not have to worry about the kick ripping your shoulder off. Also, very little meat is ruined. The key is to sight in your gun so it's exactly the mark and get a good rest when you shoot.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I have never used anything but my 25-06 and have bagged 6 elk. Every one of them has dropped where I shot them. My dad has spent most of his life hunting with a 30-06, shooting dozens of elk over the years, but switched to a 25-06 about 5 years ago. He has continued bagging an elk every year since then. Due to the tree cover in the area we hunt, the longest shot I've had to take was 100 yards. As schibbs and Namsky said above, it's not the size that counts, but how you use it. My grand-father and uncle each have bagged several elk using a 22-250.

Comment

I've probably killed more than 30 elk in the past 40 years & never used anything smaller than a .270. However an old cowboy I used to ride with used a .25-35 from 1934 until he died in 1985. Got his elk every year with one shot, usually at less than 10 yards. The wife of a rancher I hunt with uses a .25-06, usually gets her elk with one shot. Our distances typically range from 50 to 400 yards, but she made the longest shot I've ever seen at 575 yards (measured by my surveyor wife) with a 117 gr Nosler Partition at about 3,000 fps.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad