Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Del, mentioned earlier that he would like to go back in time and hunt the extinct Irish Elk (Megaloceros giganteus). Specimens h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Del, mentioned earlier that he would like to go back in time and hunt the extinct Irish Elk (Megaloceros giganteus). Specimens h

Del, mentioned earlier that he would like to go back in time and hunt the extinct Irish Elk (Megaloceros giganteus). Specimens have been found with antlers spanning 12 feet! I have posted a photo of a skull and antlers I photographed in Ireland last summer, a baby at a mere 10 feet! What would you choose to hunt such a big deer with? Also, skull, shoulder or full body mount?

Unfortunately, I don't have a pole barn to put a full body mount of this animal in, so I'll have to do a shoulder mount. As to what I would hunt it with, I'd have to go with a bow & arrow. Sounds like a good hunt to me. To bad we can't clone them and put them on an island like the crazy Prof. in Jurassic Park!

Comment

7 feet tall at the shoulders ... would take a big gun with me ... not so much for the elk but for whatever else might come along that would normally eat it.

Comment

Irish Elk is actually a misnomer. It is a giant extinct deer, the largest deer species ever.

I would probably use a spear, as to not out do the locals ...

Comment

A flint tipped spear I guess if it was a "Terminator" time machine and I couldn't bring along any modern weapons. If I could bring along a modern gun, a .50 bmg of some sorts would most likely put it down.

Comment

An old cartridge for really old game sounds good, so I'm taking something in .45-70 with me. I think the locals would be hostile, so I would be sure to outdo them.

Comment

2POPPA,

An Elk is a "Deer". The Moose is the closest living relative of Megaloceros giganteus. The Moose and the Elk (Wapiti) along with other modern deer species are members of the family Cervidae. In Europe our Moose is referred to as an Elk. Some where along the way of colonization the transatlantic naming process got out of hand...

Comment

Beekeeper,
                I checked a link I think you posted, maybe not, and saw a distant mount behind the brontosaurus. I still think an '06 would to the job, 180 partition or such. Probably not a bang flop, but what the heck.

Comment

I agree 180 grain or partition or accubond from the old '06 in boiler room would settle the deal. Works on Moose, I might even take along my 6.5 X 55 with some 140's. Over a million dead Swedish Moose can't be wrong. Click on my profile to see the rack I photographed in Ireland last summer.

Comment

.458 Lott will do the job on anything that walks.

Comment

Thats one big rack. I would use 'o6, 180 grain. like Beekeeper and Jim said. And I would go for the full body mount if I had the room. That thing would be awesome.

Comment

This is one heck of a knowledgeable crowd. You name it and somebody can tell you about it. I thought most folks would not have a clue what I was talking about.

Comment

Del, the only reason I know about Irish Elk is because of a long wait for a return flight out of Laramie, WY - I was on a flyfishing trip. Looked for something to do and found the Geological Museum at the University of Wyoming. Of all the incredible artifacts in the museum the Irish Elk skull and antlers fascinated me the most. I just stood there in awe. Just had to find out more. Since you also saw a set you know what I mean.

Comment

Agreed with Jim in Mo answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                              by WA Mtnhunter
                              Thanks all, for all the kind words and expressions of sympathy. I truly appreciate it. It takes a man who has lost a fine canine companion to truly understand....
                              Today, 10:04 PM
                            • More Bad News....
                              by WA Mtnhunter
                              My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                              07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                            • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                              by Ontario Honker Hunter
                              Nope. Busy dealing with a bear skull and big whitetail euro that is way overdue getting back to the clients.

This is going to take a while
                              Today, 10:03 PM
                            • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                              by derek7
                              Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                              08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                            • Reply to 16 Years
                              by 99explorer
                              I love posting factual comments that can only be answered by personal insults from the other side.
                              It's like taking candy from a baby!
                              Today, 09:56 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X