Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just watched Jared Allen (DE from the Vikings) kill a bull elk with a spear, on TV. What are your thoughts on spear hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J4huntfish
    replied
    Always try new things as long as their legal

Leave a comment:

• Big C
    replied
    As long as they know what they are doing and can make a clean kill then I don't see anything wrong with it. Seems to me that it would take lots of practice.

Leave a comment:

• hickboy518
    replied
    Id try it

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    If my guns and bows ever become illegal, i'll give it a try for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Bowers
    replied
    I guess I just like centerfire technology too much. If someone goes out into the wild with a canteen, a knife, and a spear, and comes back with food, more power to them.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    I would hate to feed the family with only a spear. However, no doubt wild animals back then did not fear man as much as they do today. I mean in Alaskan wilderness the Grouse barely get out of your way. Alaskans kill them with a rock, stick or 22 revolver. I posted a pick of one sitting in a Spruce tree only about 10 feet from the camera.

When I was a kid growing up in Florida my dad was a bulldozer operator. He cleared land for Citrus groves, cattle pasture, etc. Dad always had a ball peen hammer on the crawler and would throw it to kill rabbits. One day he brought home a giant bull frog bagged with the hammer. The legs was the size of chicken legs and (once fried)too tough to chew. Another time riding a tractor to feed cattle the old man stopped, pulled out his 38 special and (1 shot) killed a quail that was running in front of the tractor. I was there, the quail was delicious. We also ate lots of turtles,fish and other game.

Leave a comment:

• Bella
    replied
    Nuthin' like the old ways...
    Takes sand to do that, it does.
    As far as the Ted Barta thing , I didn't see the video, but I understand bringing the hog to bay with dogs is how it has always been done, with knife, spear or hunting sword. and it still takes sand to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    I think it is generally a rigged set up for the camera. So in other words, cowardly. I saw that Tred Barta crap. He bragged about how he was going to kill a wild hog with a knife. Then what did he do? The loudmouth coward had a pack of dogs hold the hog down while he jumped in and out slicing the hogs neck, and making damn sure his pussy ass didn't get hurt. That soured me on him and any of his stuff.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    What show was it? I guess I would have to see the circumstances before offering an opinion. In general if you can make a clean kill on a fair chase animal I don't see anything wrong with it. The more challenge the greater the reward, that's what got me into muzzleloading and then bowhunting.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    I encourage this, and I'm thinking about trying it. I've killed a few rabbits with a small spear I made, and if I can get my hands on a nice big spear, the deer better be polishing up on their predator sniffing skills.

Leave a comment:

• 2Poppa
    replied
    If Kentucky had a spear season, I'd be out there!
    Anything to get out in the woods.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    I still think there should be a season where we jump out of a tree and cut the bull's throat with a good sharp knife. Hang on tight so you won't have to trail him.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Hey, the fella went “NATIVE!”

If it’s legal, go for it!!

What kind of camo was it?

Was it FIG LEAF?

Must be nice to throw a spear yet alone a ball!

Leave a comment:

• jfose140
    replied
    This is impressive. He has essentially embraced the hunting techniques of our primitive ancestors, from a time when a spear was cutting edge weaponry and survival of the fittest was based solely on physical achievement. It’s always cool to see a man forego the high-tech gadgets of modern day and pursue his quarry in the simplest manner.

Leave a comment:

• deadeyedave08
    replied
    i would give it a try if we could in ohio, safer than a gun, at least its only gonna travel as far as u can throw, unlike a bullet.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad