Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just watched Jared Allen (DE from the Vikings) kill a bull elk with a spear, on TV. What are your thoughts on spear hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just watched Jared Allen (DE from the Vikings) kill a bull elk with a spear, on TV. What are your thoughts on spear hunting?

I just watched Jared Allen (DE from the Vikings) kill a bull elk with a spear, on TV. What are your thoughts on spear hunting?

I saw Tred Bart kill a hog with a knife. I wouldn't personally recommend it, but I don't have a problem with it.

Comment

I don't have a problem with it, as long as it's a clean kill. Of course I don't want to give it a try anytime soon.

Comment

If it's legal, was he in a penned ranch?

Comment

I think it would take a lot of guts to try and kill an elk with a spear. What if you missed or just wounded it? Someone was probably standing by to shoot it if it charged, but it's still pretty wild.

Comment

I do not have a problem with it as long as it is a clean kill and legal. Something I do not think I would have the heart to do. My hat goes off to those who do hunt like that. If that is not under the deffinition of a man, I don't know what is.

Comment

I do not know if the ranch was penned or not. He was in a tree stand when he killed the elk. He did, however, kill a buffalo with a spear from the ground.

Both kills looked as clean as any bowkill I have made or seen.

Comment

Not my cup of tea. But, if it is legal and he wasn't in a holding pen more power to him.

Comment

i would give it a try if we could in ohio, safer than a gun, at least its only gonna travel as far as u can throw, unlike a bullet.

Comment

This is impressive. He has essentially embraced the hunting techniques of our primitive ancestors, from a time when a spear was cutting edge weaponry and survival of the fittest was based solely on physical achievement. It’s always cool to see a man forego the high-tech gadgets of modern day and pursue his quarry in the simplest manner.

Comment

Hey, the fella went “NATIVE!”

If it’s legal, go for it!!

What kind of camo was it?

Was it FIG LEAF?

Must be nice to throw a spear yet alone a ball!

Comment

I still think there should be a season where we jump out of a tree and cut the bull's throat with a good sharp knife. Hang on tight so you won't have to trail him.

Comment

If Kentucky had a spear season, I'd be out there!
                          Anything to get out in the woods.

Comment

I encourage this, and I'm thinking about trying it. I've killed a few rabbits with a small spear I made, and if I can get my hands on a nice big spear, the deer better be polishing up on their predator sniffing skills.

Comment

What show was it? I guess I would have to see the circumstances before offering an opinion. In general if you can make a clean kill on a fair chase animal I don't see anything wrong with it. The more challenge the greater the reward, that's what got me into muzzleloading and then bowhunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad