Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anybody out there that has shot Barnes bullets and if so did you like the performance and how bad did damage the meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anybody out there that has shot Barnes bullets and if so did you like the performance and how bad did damage the meat?

Is there anybody out there that has shot Barnes bullets and if so did you like the performance and how bad did damage the meat?

I shoot nothing but Hornady and Nosler Partitions. Shot my Moose with a 338 Win Mag 225 Grain Hornady loaded at 3000fps and dropped it in the tracks! Funny thing, all my game larger than mule was taken all with Hornady with no problem what so ever! Shot more deer with my 22-250 than all my rifles combined just as dead as if I shot them with my 338 Win Mag 250 Nosler Partition! Always carried the 338 Nosler Partiion at 2850ish fps, I never needed them! Go figure!

Once again I must echo what ken.mcloud said it best!
    “So, I think that the superior killing power of larger rounds is largely in our heads.(likely testosterone induced) A flat-shooting round that you can accurately place will produce as many if not more "bang-flop" kills as a heavy caliber round.”

Comment

I handload both my 300 mag and 220 swift with barns tripple shock ans x bullets. in my experience i have found that in larger animals like kudu eland and elk the bullets make great clean entrance and exit wounds. i suffered some minor accuracy loss in both rifles but nothing major, and I appreciated the deep penetration. i havnt noticed any undue meat loss except that the wound channel often exits the body

Comment

If you place that bullet in the right place, there should be little if any meat loss or damage. Unless, of course, you eat the lungs.

Comment

I have shot the X bullets on and off over about 15 years. The new triple shocks seem to shoot at lower pressures and foul less than the original X did. This is due to the grooves in the bullet shank and I delieve a slight difference in alloy. The bullets penetrate well. I once put 4 though a wild boar that was well over 400 lbs. (He was a little annoyed with me at the time) The 150's from a 30/06 broke up his shoulders and destroyed the contents of his chest cavity. On deer the performance has been very good with no more meat damage than a standard bullet (what ever that is now days). I have recovered only one, a 200 yard shot into a 250 lb hog. The bullet hung up in the hide and bristles on the off side of the shoulder. It looks just like the picture in the add and retained 144 of the original 150 grains of weight.

Comment

I shoot the 100 grain XXX in my 25-06 handloaded to 3250 fps. Shot 3 deer opening day last fall and the bullet performance was outstanding. All shots were pass throughs. Not a lot of meat damage but plenty to the heart and lungs.

Comment

Used a .225g TSX .35 Whelen for an elk this past December. Dropped in one shot but also took a finishing shot at 3 feet. Minimal meat damage. I don't think there's a better big game bullet. Expensive, though.

Comment

If you worry about the possibility of lead in your meat the X bullets are the way to go...

Comment

Not to worried about lead I think thats just abunch a crap so we have to spend more money I was wondering abou th bullets because I bought a box of Barnes X bullets in 175 grain for my 7mm WBY got them pretty cheap. loaded a few and put 3 shots in dime. I want to thank everyone for there input.

Comment

TSX and MRX are the best things out there, now that Fail Safes are gone. They are very deadly, and in most guns, very accurate.

Comment

Gonna load 225 gr TSX in my .35 Whelen when my supply of 225 gr Trophy Bonded's are gone. I am very happy with the 165 TSX in my '06.

I never have excessive meat dameage with the .35W due to it's velocity and I always avoid hitting the shoulder mass.

Comment

They dont tear up to much meat

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad