Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you are very confident with your rifle, would any of you take a neck shot on a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pstrdan80291
    replied
    Oh definately. I took down a full size cow elk around 40yds away and it just dropped. Also i took a Mule Deer in the neck with my bow and it dropped and was dead almost instantly and it bled out making gutting it easier. Just make sure your ethical try to kill on the first shot.

Leave a comment:

• 268bull
    replied
    So tell me tom don, your just all for those gut shot's, eh? At the least you know you hit em'.

Leave a comment:

• tom donohue
    replied
    head shots and neck shots are unethical and are to be frowned upon. bragging about a head shot makes one an
    @##hole.

Leave a comment:

• 268bull
    replied
    I've shot 1 buck,1985,the first year I put my scope on my rifle. And that was a head shot! The buck was lying in his bed, looking up slope at me. His head sort of covered any other possible shot. He layed there long enough for me to sit down, rest my elbows just on the inside of my knees. Put the cross hairs on the head and squeezed the trigger.The only thing that moved was all 4 legs shot straight out and he stayed lying in that nest he had made. I stepped off 105 yds., the shot went in just at the right eye and exited at the base off the skull where it joins the neck bones. Never knew what hit him. I enjoyed the moment, but take high shoulder shots scince.

Leave a comment:

• Cbass
    replied
    Every situation is different. I've taken deer with neck shots. Head-on encounters sometimes offer the neck as the best available shot. Given the choice between neck and shoulder shots, just like Clay put it, it's second nature to go for the shoulder shot.

Leave a comment:

• RES1956
    replied
    Shoot 'em all high in the shoulder-DRT. A miss high, low, front or back still results in a dead deer, usually right there. If it runs off, you usually have a good blood trail. With smaller calibers, .24-.26, I have found that a good blood trail is not always left, and I want the deer dead right there.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I'ts pretty hard to clip the windpipe without clipping the juglars as well. It can be done, but not very likely. They don't go down instantly but the track is not hard to follow even if there's no snow. And the critter is likely not going to make it out of sight anyway. Most times they just stand there a few seconds and then fall over. When the juglars are cut they black out almost instantly.

Persons taking the boiler room shot can wind up shooting too far back. Then your in trouble. Or too far west or south, clipping the brisket. If you're off the mark, you're off the mark. And, WAM, the vital area is much larger than a radiator hose if you're using the right round. The shock from the rounds I use can break the neck of a deer even if it's not hit smack in the spinal cord. Tennessee is right. The right round will blow a hole as big as a fist and the destruction all around the hole is just as substantial. I have had a few get back up after being knocked over. But they weren't going anywhere. As I stated earlier, elk and moose are an entirely different story. Neck shots are a risky placement for them.

Leave a comment:

• hunter13121
    replied
    Many times I have hit a deer in the spine in their neck. Never after that shot have they moved 5 feet from where they were standing after a shot like that. If the range is close and I feel confident about my shot, I will take the shot.
    This is only if this is the only shot possible at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• hunter13121
    replied
    Many times I have hit a deer in the spine in their neck. Never after that shot have they moved 5 feet from where they were standing after a shot like that. If the range is close and I feel confident about my shot, I will take the shot.
    This is only if this is the only shot possible at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Clay Cooper
    replied
    WAM DITTO's!

Neck shot? NO WAY! Always use the same technique every time, just behind the shoulder just like 2nd nature!

What if you shoot to far forward or down just clipping the wind pipe? Lost deer, later dead deer! GOOD JOB, NOT!

Leave a comment:

• tennesseedeerhunter
    replied
    im pretty confident in my 270 ive shot alot of deer and the neck and they all fall dead mostly because it blows a hole you could stick your fist through, through their necks

Leave a comment:

• Keith Costley
    replied
    I would take a neck shot at a deer as a last resort. And that all would depend how badly I wanted to harvest the deer.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    For all the reasons stated, I won't take neck shots. It is a vital zone the size of a radiator hose on most deer and not much bigger on elk. Just answering the question on my preferences. Your experiences will solidify your ethics on this sooner or later.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    When I was still working I had to answer several calls from people to come out and kill deer that had been shot in the neck and were still alive. A little low and you shoot the windpipe into and then the deer is walking around breathing through a hole in its neck. I have had to kill a couple of those. It is a shot that I just won't take.

Leave a comment:

• AJMcClure
    replied
    The neck meat on a rutting buck is great either roasted or boned out and ground up. We are talking a large amount of protein. To begin with I like to start skinning just below where the deer's head hits the neck after I skin the deer I like to use a boning saw, or a reciprocating saw (faster, but you have to clean the attachment part of the recip. saw) to remove this 30lb hunk of meat and bone. Rib's don't hold very much meat, so right behind the shoulder is a good clean shot, that and the brain shot which is smaller. I have given some packages of lean venison out, without any fat added and I am delighted at request for more organic and almost fat free protein. Cheers to getting the most meat out of all game.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Here We Go Again
    by jhjimbo

Note that some links may require registration or subscription.

A newly identified virus -- Langya henipavirus (LayV) -- already has...
    Today, 10:49 AM
  • Reply to Putin Joke
    by rock rat

Nice airfield they had in Crimea. Too bad if something were to happen to it....
    Today, 10:32 AM
  • Putin Joke
    by rock rat
    Putin joke
    Putin dies and goes to hell, but after a while, he is given a day off for good behavior.

So he goes to Moscow, enters a...
    05-08-2022, 04:45 PM
  • Reply to topic
    by fitch270
    It’s all in fun Jim. Thing is the thread was dead for two days until you resurrected it by quoting me, it really took off after that.
    Today, 10:01 AM
  • topic
    by jhjimbo
    08-06-2022, 08:29 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X