Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you are very confident with your rifle, would any of you take a neck shot on a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many times I have hit a deer in the spine in their neck. Never after that shot have they moved 5 feet from where they were standing after a shot like that. If the range is close and I feel confident about my shot, I will take the shot.
    This is only if this is the only shot possible at the moment.

Comment

Many times I have hit a deer in the spine in their neck. Never after that shot have they moved 5 feet from where they were standing after a shot like that. If the range is close and I feel confident about my shot, I will take the shot.
      This is only if this is the only shot possible at the moment.

Comment

I'ts pretty hard to clip the windpipe without clipping the juglars as well. It can be done, but not very likely. They don't go down instantly but the track is not hard to follow even if there's no snow. And the critter is likely not going to make it out of sight anyway. Most times they just stand there a few seconds and then fall over. When the juglars are cut they black out almost instantly.

Persons taking the boiler room shot can wind up shooting too far back. Then your in trouble. Or too far west or south, clipping the brisket. If you're off the mark, you're off the mark. And, WAM, the vital area is much larger than a radiator hose if you're using the right round. The shock from the rounds I use can break the neck of a deer even if it's not hit smack in the spinal cord. Tennessee is right. The right round will blow a hole as big as a fist and the destruction all around the hole is just as substantial. I have had a few get back up after being knocked over. But they weren't going anywhere. As I stated earlier, elk and moose are an entirely different story. Neck shots are a risky placement for them.

Comment

Shoot 'em all high in the shoulder-DRT. A miss high, low, front or back still results in a dead deer, usually right there. If it runs off, you usually have a good blood trail. With smaller calibers, .24-.26, I have found that a good blood trail is not always left, and I want the deer dead right there.

Comment

Every situation is different. I've taken deer with neck shots. Head-on encounters sometimes offer the neck as the best available shot. Given the choice between neck and shoulder shots, just like Clay put it, it's second nature to go for the shoulder shot.

Comment

I've shot 1 buck,1985,the first year I put my scope on my rifle. And that was a head shot! The buck was lying in his bed, looking up slope at me. His head sort of covered any other possible shot. He layed there long enough for me to sit down, rest my elbows just on the inside of my knees. Put the cross hairs on the head and squeezed the trigger.The only thing that moved was all 4 legs shot straight out and he stayed lying in that nest he had made. I stepped off 105 yds., the shot went in just at the right eye and exited at the base off the skull where it joins the neck bones. Never knew what hit him. I enjoyed the moment, but take high shoulder shots scince.

Comment

head shots and neck shots are unethical and are to be frowned upon. bragging about a head shot makes one an
                @##hole.

Comment

So tell me tom don, your just all for those gut shot's, eh? At the least you know you hit em'.

Comment

Oh definately. I took down a full size cow elk around 40yds away and it just dropped. Also i took a Mule Deer in the neck with my bow and it dropped and was dead almost instantly and it bled out making gutting it easier. Just make sure your ethical try to kill on the first shot.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lesson learned the hard way.
                      by Milldawg
                      So yesterday I went out to start my truck before work to let it warm up. Being a diesel I prefer it warm up before we get running hard on the interstate....
                      Today, 10:37 AM
                    • Reply to Fbi..........
                      by Milldawg
                      I believe that the government has gotten to big and to powerful. I’m not calling for armed resistance or insanity. What it is time for is the people...
                      Today, 08:23 AM
                    • Fbi..........
                      by bowhunter75richard
                      ......there have been some 30 present and former FBI agents who have come forth in support of whistleblowers who have divulged critical information concerning...
                      09-29-2022, 08:45 AM
                    • Reply to Fbi..........
                      by bowhunter75richard
                      And I am sure that this is with the knowledge of the progressive D’s. So the question is, why are they doing this ? Are there covertly issues of such...
                      Today, 01:41 AM
                    • Reply to TGIF; What’s Up Doc?
                      by PigHunter
                      Thanks! It's a large outdoor amphitheater and wasn't sold out. We were surrounded bya Social Security crowd with few under 50.

Jeff Beck...
                      Yesterday, 09:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X