Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you are very confident with your rifle, would any of you take a neck shot on a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joelr271
    replied
    The Federal "sharpshooters" that thin out herds outside of hunting season or in residential areas typically go with a neck shot because they usually do not go very far and it is highly effective. I have never had a deer make it more than 20 yards after shooting it in the neck. If it does go a little further, the blood trail is usually pretty substantial and tracking is a non-issue.

Leave a comment:

• J4huntfish
    replied
    no, i would rather have the right shot placement in the heart so it will go down with one shot and no tracking required, all my deer that ive shot with my 7mm remington mag have just dropped and havnt even moved when i shoot them, if i know their is i cance i will wound the deer i will not take it, why take the chance?, the only reason for that is your benefit not the deers

Leave a comment:

• Hunter Savage
    replied
    yes I will take a neck shot if I know its is a sure thing any questions in my mind and I will pass and wait for a better shot , the buck I took this year was with a neck shot.

Leave a comment:

• RylieGipson
    replied
    I might take a neck shot on a doe but not a buck,if your gona get a shoulder mount then take the lung and heart shots.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Just behind the shoulder is my preference too. My dad however, shot every deer in the neck (see one of his neck shots on my profile) and did fine. I feel the behind the shoulder shop ruins less meat and is more forgiving in the event of a miss. Dad never missed though and his deer were always found right in the tracks they were standing in when he shot.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I personally think neck shots are a high risk proposition. The neck is a small target, and the spine is an even smaller target within the neck.
    I know a hunter who blew away a buck's lower jaw while attempting a neck shot, and lost the deer to suffer a slow lingering death. The hunter felt terrible about it.

Leave a comment:

• jbird
    replied
    I'm with several of the above, if it's close, still, and I don't have a clear shot at the boiler-room.

Leave a comment:

• Jere Smith
    replied
    Only if it's short range and standing still.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I meant lung shot not "body shot". Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    By the way, for deer I shoot 180 grain conventional spitzers in that 30-06.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I have shot countless deer in the neck with 30-06 and no trouble putting them away. Not always instantly but they didn't go anywhere. I haven't been so successful with moose and elk. Three incidents come to mind right away. Never lost them but two of them surely could have got away. Lung shot is the surest and least likely to result in wasted meat. There is, in fact, a LOT of good hamburger/sausage meat on the neck. I think a person who is shooting a high speed smaller calibre (say .243 or even .270) has no business shooting for the neck on a deer. A reduced weight bullet in a magnum calibre might be fine for a neck shot but worse for a body shot. Both placements would probably have great knock down results but the body shot has a greater probability of producing a mess in the meat. More difficult to predict the exit, for one thing. And I have said it many times before: when picking his hunting round/calibre, an ethical hunter must balance the probability for efficient killing AND meat waste. So, particularly for neck shots, choosing the appropriate gun and bullet is the key factor.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    I prefer a double lung or shoulder shot on deer with my rifle. A hole through both lungs is 100% fatal and usually the deer goes less than 100 yds, often less than 50. True a good neck shot drops him in his tracks but it is not the high percentage shot regardless of what you see on the hunting tv shows, where it is the shot of choice. The lungs provide a much larger target.

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    I've shot 4 deer with nech shots and haven't lost any. It is not what I prefer but the deer were close.

Leave a comment:

• FlHuntress
    replied
    I prefer not to take a neck shot, High just behind the shoulder is my choice, but I must confess I have taken a neck shot when nothing else is presented.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I keep hearing (seeing?) people talking about shoulder shots and "not wasting meat". I'm sorry, but there is very litte meat on the shoulders. If some of you make shoulder roasts, a "high" lung shot will put one down pretty quickly.
    When hunting small parcels like I do, you want a shot that will put them down quickly. I prefer a shot that will take out "both" shoulders, though difficult to arrange (chuckle!) Like dhrick says, top of the shoulder normally drops 'em on the spot. Note, I say "normally". There are exceptions to ALL cases.
    I'll take a "neck" shot at short range. 20-30 yards.
    I took one nice buck with a well placed .22 Hornet behind his left ear. He was only 15 yards. I would NOT try that shot any further.
    My "neck" shot is within six inches of the "point" of the shoulder.

Bubba

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad