Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you are very confident with your rifle, would any of you take a neck shot on a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are very confident with your rifle, would any of you take a neck shot on a deer?

If you are very confident with your rifle, would any of you take a neck shot on a deer?

I prefer a shot just behind the shoulder, but have and will take a neck shot on a deer, if that is all they present, at a close distance.

Comment

there is less of a tracking job with a neck shot.

Comment

No I wouldn't, too much of a chance of a wounded deer. I always go for double lung with gun or bow. If I have no shot then I don't make it.

Comment

I prefer a neck shot or a hi lung shots thay drop were thay stand.

Comment

If it's a standing shot at under fifty yards and I have a good rest, it does save a lot of meat. I have not yet lost a deer that I shot in the neck. I say, "yet".

Comment

i prefer not to. if i have a neck shot, chances are i will soon have a double lung shot, so i wait.

Comment

I have seen plenty of deer shot in the neck and run off. There is a no-mans land if shot low in the throat area. If you hit the spinal cord your'e fine . Frontal shot in the neck is a different thing all together it will drop them instantly. But a side shot at any distance other then very close meaning 50 yards or less you are taking a chance even knowing your rifle. I perfer a top of the shoulder shot. It hits the nerve bundle and drops them instantly ,they never regain concousness. If you shoot high it hits the spine and again drops them instantly. If you shoot low it hits the shoulder and takes both lungs out and nervious system. It is a no brainer shot with no downside to it. Watch any show and see what shot most if not all shooters take. There is a reason for taking it. Archery is different. Double lung just behind the shoulder. High it hits the spine, low it hits the heart, again no brainer. I am not saying other shots are not possible, because they are. Heck I have seen my share of Texas heart shots. For those of you that do not know what this is. It is a southend shot going north, straight up the shoot. Iffy at best,no blood trail and no arrow recovery until you find the deer. I'll pass on a neck shot,there is always another deer if not another day to shoot one. And having over a hundred deer under my belt I can always wait for the right shot to come to me.

Comment

Personally I would not. Percentages are too low. If you are that comfortable with your rifle, I have no problem.

Comment

I keep hearing (seeing?) people talking about shoulder shots and "not wasting meat". I'm sorry, but there is very litte meat on the shoulders. If some of you make shoulder roasts, a "high" lung shot will put one down pretty quickly.
                    When hunting small parcels like I do, you want a shot that will put them down quickly. I prefer a shot that will take out "both" shoulders, though difficult to arrange (chuckle!) Like dhrick says, top of the shoulder normally drops 'em on the spot. Note, I say "normally". There are exceptions to ALL cases.
                    I'll take a "neck" shot at short range. 20-30 yards.
                    I took one nice buck with a well placed .22 Hornet behind his left ear. He was only 15 yards. I would NOT try that shot any further.
                    My "neck" shot is within six inches of the "point" of the shoulder.

Bubba

Comment

I prefer not to take a neck shot, High just behind the shoulder is my choice, but I must confess I have taken a neck shot when nothing else is presented.

Comment

I've shot 4 deer with nech shots and haven't lost any. It is not what I prefer but the deer were close.

Comment

I prefer a double lung or shoulder shot on deer with my rifle. A hole through both lungs is 100% fatal and usually the deer goes less than 100 yds, often less than 50. True a good neck shot drops him in his tracks but it is not the high percentage shot regardless of what you see on the hunting tv shows, where it is the shot of choice. The lungs provide a much larger target.

Comment

I have shot countless deer in the neck with 30-06 and no trouble putting them away. Not always instantly but they didn't go anywhere. I haven't been so successful with moose and elk. Three incidents come to mind right away. Never lost them but two of them surely could have got away. Lung shot is the surest and least likely to result in wasted meat. There is, in fact, a LOT of good hamburger/sausage meat on the neck. I think a person who is shooting a high speed smaller calibre (say .243 or even .270) has no business shooting for the neck on a deer. A reduced weight bullet in a magnum calibre might be fine for a neck shot but worse for a body shot. Both placements would probably have great knock down results but the body shot has a greater probability of producing a mess in the meat. More difficult to predict the exit, for one thing. And I have said it many times before: when picking his hunting round/calibre, an ethical hunter must balance the probability for efficient killing AND meat waste. So, particularly for neck shots, choosing the appropriate gun and bullet is the key factor.

Comment

By the way, for deer I shoot 180 grain conventional spitzers in that 30-06.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad