Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is your smallest caliber for a bear defense pistol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

44 Mag?

Comment

44 Mag?

Comment

Originally posted by Army Sniper View Post
        So funny, not ONE person answered your question, for that, I apologize. The smallest Caliber I have used to take down a bear was .40 Cal. I was walking in Colorado along one of the trails in a National Park with my wife when a huge bear, still unsure if it was a grizzly or what, approached my wife and I. I yelled, I fired a warning shot in the air hoping to scare it away, and he did not seem to care at all. Perhaps the bear may have gotten rabies, or another type of virus, idk. He charged my wife oddly enough, as I was closer to him than she was. He was about 10 meters away when he charged, 9, 8, 6 pop pop, and he hit the dirt surprisingly hard. I put two standard UMC 180grn FMJ .40 S&W rounds through his forehead. And I got a little teary eyed. I am in no way proud of this kill, nor was I happy that I had to shoot this beautiful animal. I tried to scare him away, but he did not seem to care. All these yahoo's that have a penis disorder and need to compensate with a large caliber firearm make me laugh. A well placed smaller round is far better than a poorly placed large caliber round, as the target acquisition is so much slower. Anyway, I would not go below .40 S&W, not worth risk. If you plan on hiking with someone you love dearly, and wish to save them if S hits the fan, take a .40 or above. Hope this helped.
        "Perhaps the bear may have gotten rabies, or another type of virus, idk."

Rabies, a virus? You don't have a clue as to why it happened. Why then make these ridiculous guesses. Or it could have been you were just too close to the bear, you and your wife didn't make enough noise while you were hiking, there was a food source for the bear nearby, it had young nearby, etc. Hate it when people make extremely uneducated guesses because they don't add any knowledge.

Comment

The last couple self defense shootings up here in a Alaska were done with 9mm. Both were successful and one was actually a guide who was in an area where he hadn't ran into any bears in the past. He brought his 9mm just in case, then had to use it. No matter what anyone tells you, the 9mm with the right ammo has been proven over and over again as an effective round. In the three documented cases I've seen in Alaska where someone used it, the 9mm scored Three kills.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad