Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is your smallest caliber for a bear defense pistol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no such thing as a "bear defense pistol".

Everyone will have a story told to them by the friend of a friend, who knew someone who's cousin killed a bear with a Davis .25 automatic.

But the only person I know who personally faced a bear (with witnesses) emptied a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum at a range approaching point blank. It was a friend with a rifle who made the kill, while this man dropped the pistol and jumped off a tall rock.

It was not a very big bear either, but still a good story for him.

Comment

If I was in Grizz country I would have at least a 44mag. The area I spend most of my time in has black bears, and if one was charging me I would prefer to have a 44, but due to weight and ease of carry I usually have a seven shot .357 S&W 686 on my side.

Comment

Good thing about shooting a griz with a handgun is that they can recover the slug later and confirm which bear ate your lunch..

Comment

Why, oh why are you picking on a Davis .25? Everyone who is anyone carries a Davis! I am crying fitfully and writhing on the floor about what you have said to hurt the feeling of the poor little Davis! Oh how I love Davis, brave little aoutomatic who boldly gives it's life to save it's owner from grizzleys and other denizens of the forest. What a great gun for all to see!

Comment

The perfect Bear defense pistol for Black Bears of any size in my opinion would be the 480 Ruger with a 9.5" barrel loaded with the 425 Grain Wide Flat Nose Gas Check rounds offered by Grizzly Cartridge. You could shoot a Black Bear in the face with this and have the bullet come ripping through it's asshole. If that's not powerful enough for you, then you're by no means a man or in any condition mentally to be walking through the woods where there are critters such as the Great Bears. Don't listen to people who criticize a big revolver such as the one I mention as being un handy in a dangerous situation because of it's long barrel, I own one believe me, this is not true. If you were gooing to be in the woods with Brown Bears though, you are definitely going to want to be carrying a 45-70 levergun rather than a pistol. If you were going to be carrying a pistol though, it would be wise to step up to the 500 S&W loaded with the heaviest Wide Flat Nose solids available for the gun.

Comment

What about Dmax Sidewinder/BFR in 45lc/410 with Lehigh ammunition. Maximum expansion ammunition enters ballistics gel at 11.7" avg and bullet expands to 1.7" leaving a large cut path to hit vitals. One round takes up same expansion size of 4 standard 45acp hollows!! It packs quite the punch. Convinced 45lc would do it easily just avoid old cowboy low grain rounds. I recommend Lehigh ammo.

Comment

So funny, not ONE person answered your question, for that, I apologize. The smallest Caliber I have used to take down a bear was .40 Cal. I was walking in Colorado along one of the trails in a National Park with my wife when a huge bear, still unsure if it was a grizzly or what, approached my wife and I. I yelled, I fired a warning shot in the air hoping to scare it away, and he did not seem to care at all. Perhaps the bear may have gotten rabies, or another type of virus, idk. He charged my wife oddly enough, as I was closer to him than she was. He was about 10 meters away when he charged, 9, 8, 6 pop pop, and he hit the dirt surprisingly hard. I put two standard UMC 180grn FMJ .40 S&W rounds through his forehead. And I got a little teary eyed. I am in no way proud of this kill, nor was I happy that I had to shoot this beautiful animal. I tried to scare him away, but he did not seem to care. All these yahoo's that have a penis disorder and need to compensate with a large caliber firearm make me laugh. A well placed smaller round is far better than a poorly placed large caliber round, as the target acquisition is so much slower. Anyway, I would not go below .40 S&W, not worth risk. If you plan on hiking with someone you love dearly, and wish to save them if S hits the fan, take a .40 or above. Hope this helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Army Sniper View Post
                  So funny, not ONE person answered your question, for that, I apologize. The smallest Caliber I have used to take down a bear was .40 Cal. I was walking in Colorado along one of the trails in a National Park with my wife when a huge bear, still unsure if it was a grizzly or what, approached my wife and I. I yelled, I fired a warning shot in the air hoping to scare it away, and he did not seem to care at all. Perhaps the bear may have gotten rabies, or another type of virus, idk. He charged my wife oddly enough, as I was closer to him than she was. He was about 10 meters away when he charged, 9, 8, 6 pop pop, and he hit the dirt surprisingly hard. I put two standard UMC 180grn FMJ .40 S&W rounds through his forehead. And I got a little teary eyed. I am in no way proud of this kill, nor was I happy that I had to shoot this beautiful animal. I tried to scare him away, but he did not seem to care. All these yahoo's that have a penis disorder and need to compensate with a large caliber firearm make me laugh. A well placed smaller round is far better than a poorly placed large caliber round, as the target acquisition is so much slower. Anyway, I would not go below .40 S&W, not worth risk. If you plan on hiking with someone you love dearly, and wish to save them if S hits the fan, take a .40 or above. Hope this helped.
                  Funny, never owned a gun. But in surfing can find every infinitesimal detail for what I need. In Iraq was just handed a war zone sidearm! Anyway the other day we went up into the hills (not mountains yet just hills) on the west coast of Vancouver Island to look for a bee yard. We were way in on a logging road when one little cub ran across the road followed by a sibling, seconds later there was mom making sure they were up the closest tree. So hear is were the fun starts! Mom turns, she is about 10ft in front, and glares with these little beady eyes, I mean she is pissed. The discussion in the cab of the 2014 F150 is as follows - she is not happy, can she break the windshield, what about the roof think the metal is thick enough - I mean there was concern oh and no sidearms are prohib unless permits. Well John's quick thinking, cause she is thinking of taking on a pickup (Black Bear no Grizzly till way up north), he starts to inch forward and she takes off into the bush. So lots of times when we are up there with the bees we can here the bears (sometimes cougars) off in the bush, so I think time for some permits. Don't want to kill any of them, but little while back two fellas where found mauled with the shotgun still leaning on the tree!!!!! So thanks sniper I think glock 17 or 19 was going to get a cannon like Desert Eagle but recoil and so on, makes sense on charge - small calibre, less recoil, greater likelihood of body mass. By the way we have a bear that lives in the neighbourhood and crosses the four lane highway and it looks both way, no word of a lie. He wants to live to and we rarely see him

Comment

44 Mag?

Comment

44 Mag?

Comment

44 Mag?

Comment

44 Mag?

Comment

44 Mag?

Comment

44 Mag?

Comment

44 Mag?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad