Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is your smallest caliber for a bear defense pistol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is your smallest caliber for a bear defense pistol.

what is your smallest caliber for a bear defense pistol.

i suggest no smaller than a 45,depending on the size.at close range pepper spray is the best overall

Comment

if it were up to me i would be looking for the largest legal caliber. haha

Comment

I would choose a 45 Long Colt in a old Ruger Vaqureo or Blackhawk something that can handle heavy loads like Buffalo Bore and shoot a 260 or 300 grain bullet but you would be better of with a shotgun with slugs. P.S dont trust peeper spray because some where the wind is allways going to blow in the wrong direction.

Comment

In Alaska I carried a S&W Model 629 44 mag with 8 3/8 inch barrel and felt undergunned. I went to a Model 660 Remington rifle in 350 rem mag. It is a lot of power in a small light rifle. Just sling it over the shoulder. It will kill any bear that walks.

Comment

44mag or 45long colt min calibers

Comment

Del! Again! Genius!

I think .480 Ruger is pretty much perfect for bears. Lots of horsepower, large diameter. You'll avoid the mauling from the bear, and you'll avoid the mauling that the .454C or .475L will give you.

.460 or .500 S&W would be great too, but are very expensive and require a bigger gun.

Comment

Did you know its Alaska State law that you must remove all front sights from any Magnum Handgun for Bear protection!

Comment

That front blade is hell on the hemorrhoids when that bear slaps that noise maker out of your hand and shoves it up your posterior! Nothing replaces a good rifle, even #6 bird shot in the face works great!!!

Comment

I would say 44 Mag and 480 Ruger would be my smallest choice. My biggest choice would be a BFR in 45/70.

Comment

clay i want to kill the bear not make it mad, i would never use #6 bird shot, slugs maybe but not bird shot. it depends on what kind of bear you would run into, around my house where it is all black bear, i would use a good 357mag or a 12 ga with 00buck or slugs, if your talking grizleys i would want at the very least a 44mag, and if possable a good rifle.

Comment

yeah, make sure you have that front sight filed down smooth...wont hurt so much when the bear put it where the sun dont shine...

for bear protection, youll want a short-barreled 12 gauge shotgun with the biggest slugs it can handle...

Comment

Look at what the guides carry for bear protection. Like Del said, a short handy rifle in a thumper caliber or a short handy shotgun stuffed with all the slugs you can get into it. You won't stop a big bear bent on causing you harm with a handgun. Ask all these folks who advocate using a hand gun for bear defence if they have actually ever used said device for such a purpose and also inquire as to how it turned out...

Comment

An old Alaskan guide told me, "if you use a pistol, better to shoot yourself then the bear".

Comment

It does seem that every bear guide or researcher I've seen carried a rifle. Almost all bolt guns too. If it were me, I'd have a big bore lever gun. A Remington 7600 woods carbine in .35 Whelen would be nice too. I'd still like to risk it with a revolver though.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad