No announcement yet.

how much does it cost to hunt elk in montana and what kind of rifle would u use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much does it cost to hunt elk in montana and what kind of rifle would u use

how much does it cost to hunt elk in montana and what kind of rifle would u use

I found an outfitter for elk in wyoming for 4000 grand which is one of the cheaper ones i've found and I've heard 300 win mag is a good elk caliber and i would get it in a remington 700 or something along those lines. hope this helps

Comment

Use an outfitter and the most powerful rifle you can shoot accurately. I would say .30 caliber is minimum unless you really know what your doing with a .270. An outfitter because it will save you frustration trying to locate areas with elk in them and increase your chances of success.

Comment

Dont know about cost but i would either use a 7mm08 or 30-06

Comment

Sine the Outfitter Tags are no more, the NR cobo tag will cost you $886 in the drawing with about a 50-50 shot of being drawn. Plus your expenses. 7mm mag or .300 mag for a rifle.

Comment

Duh! NR Combination tag....

Comment

guided it would be anywhere from 4000-6000, unguided or semi guided probly from 1000-2500 dollars. a good caliber for elk is .300 mag or 7mm . .338 for long distance hunting is preferred among many elk hunters.

Comment

I would check with the Montana Department of Conservation for permit costs, etc.,. That way you will be getting 100% correct information instead of taking someone's word for it. Even though many calibers will harvest an elk, I would recommend a .270 or larger caliber. A 30.06 would be an excellent choice. It is one of the most versatile firearms on the planet as far as ammunition is concerned. It is a great all-around firearm and will adequately harvest nearly every big game animal in North America.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad