Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What side of the fence do you reside on? Do you sit on the fence? For big game hunting are you a Roy Weatherby Disciple, i.e. s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What side of the fence do you reside on? Do you sit on the fence? For big game hunting are you a Roy Weatherby Disciple, i.e. s

What side of the fence do you reside on? Do you sit on the fence? For big game hunting are you a Roy Weatherby Disciple, i.e. super velocity. Or, do you side with old Elmer and want something a with a bore large enough for a bear to hibernate in?

BOTH!

Any questions!

Comment

Honestly, I like them all and everything in between. I've had Lazzeroni's and .454 Casulls, and .35 Remingtons and .45 Colts. I even had a Browning B78 rifle in .454 Cas.

Comment

I lean to the bigger side.

Comment

I think most of the newer stuff is overkill. The 30-30 killed deer for decades and it is neither fast nor big. But it kills deer just fine. I think the new "fast and big" stuff kicks too much which leads to not enough practice and poor shooting in the field. An old 32 Win special through the lungs will always kill a deer faster than the latest 300 super dooper pooper magnun that shoots a deer in the guts because the guy behind the scope was too afraid of the recoil.

Comment

I don't know about this question. If I'm taking a shot at 400+ yards give me the Weatherby. If I'm stalking through the brush, give me a lever. Not only does the hyper-velocity come with a high price, but it comes with more weight and a longer barel. I guess that puts me on the fence????

Comment

I have several of each and use whatever I feel like or think would work best. Roy was a salesman extraordinaire. Elmer used small fast bullets although he prefered big slower ones, read his books or look at the photos. For that matter so did Jack and so does Dave.

Comment

I like to mix and match! LOL!!!!

Comment

I like the Weatherby theory for thin skin light game and apply Elmer and actually Taylor for the bigger game with teeth and claws. Do I disrespect the smaller game with not killing them with a sledge hammer? No I don't think so but I dread the thought of trailing up a Brown that is shot with anything less than 33.

Comment

velocity!

Comment

For me it's velocity, I don't get to hunt anything bigger than deer so I don't need a gun that will stop a tank. I hope that one of these years I will get to go after game that is bigger, so for now I will stick with a fast, flat shooter.

Comment

I sit on the fence and shoot heavy slow arrows at whatever is in season.

Comment

I Shoot my 06, which is on the heavier side for whitetail, but not overkill. My backup deer rifle is a .32win spc. which ballistically is similar to the ol .30/30. I am leaning toward buying a lighter, faster rifle like a .25/06 or .260

Comment

Roy was busy selling rifles, and Elmer was busy selling Elmer. I enjoy both, but with a pinch of salt.

Comment

I like both as well. For big open country a flat shooting magnum is the ticket. For under 100yards thick country, or up close encounters of the teeth and claw kind, I like a big solid flat nose chunk of lead between me and a mauling. Also being a fellow Idahoan, Elmer Keith gets my vote if it came down to it. After him they broke the mold.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad