Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I start college in May for wildlife management. Should I be concerned about the tree hugger types that don't do much of anything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I start college in May for wildlife management. Should I be concerned about the tree hugger types that don't do much of anything

I start college in May for wildlife management. Should I be concerned about the tree hugger types that don't do much of anything but complain? I don't want to seem like a hypocrite by being a hunter and a conservationist.

I began my college education on that career path but by my second year I came to the stark realization there are very few jobs out there and lots of competition for those jobs. If you are serious about Wildlife management as a career more power to you but I think you need to focus more on your extra curricular activities and grades. If you want a really good job be prepared to go to graduate school for at least a masters and maybe even a PHD. I lost out on a summer internship with the DNR between my second and third years to a Guy with a Masters in Biology, this was a 3 month summer job and the guy had his masters, it's that tough a field to get into. I think dealing with tree huggers will be the least of your problems, Good luck.

Comment

Cbroyles83 so you’re starting college in May for wildlife management, “GOD BLESS YOU”!

I have worked with Game Biologists while in the Military I have a lot of insight on the path your taking.

The following four links is a must read for you and print them out for future reference, you will be glad you did NO JOKE!

Read these links about the Kaibab and it will change the way you think and give you factual knowledge in conservation.

http://depts.alverno.edu/nsmt/youngcc/research/kaibab/kaibab.html

http://depts.alverno.edu/nsmt/youngcc/research/kaibab/story1.html

http://depts.alverno.edu/nsmt/youngcc/research/kaibab/story2.html

http://depts.alverno.edu/nsmt/youngcc/research/kaibab/story3.html

Comment

Awesome! Nothing hypocritical about it. Most of the sportsmen I know are conservationists. The tree huggers will always be there, but every occupation has its antagonists.

Don't let anyone steal your dreams. It's your life not theirs. Just remember that grades matter, a lot. Let us know how it's going.

Comment

My major is environmental SCIENCE. I emphasize science because that's what I have to focus on. There is a lot of the tree hugging stuff at my school, and I just have to weed through it and focus on the science part of it. I would just recommend that you do the same. I recommend that while you are in school, you focus on the scientific aspects of wildlife management, and use that scientific evidence to form your opinions. Don't let a professor form your opinions for you (and that won't be easy!). Good luck and I hope everything turns out well for you. Oh, and the best type tree hugging is done out of a tree stand!!!

Comment

Hunters and fishermen are the best conservationist!

Comment

Tell them Hunters are the first and foremost conservationalists. Educate yourself and use FACTs and Science to make your argument(s). Treehuggers rarely if ever use facts. Expose them as hypocites, when applicable(most of the time), and don't lose any sleep. Good Luck

Comment

Golfing Sportsman is exactly right. The field is highy competative and a graduate degree is an absolute must. You will have to be involved in as many career based activities as you can as an undergraduate, especially internships. You will also need to be a Dean's list student. Also remember, the pay ain't that great so you will seriously have to love your job. These job appointments are highly political in most cases. In other words you will need all the professional supporters you can get.

Comment

One other comment... These programs typically are filled with ecologist types now including some of the instructors. You will have to endure some of their retorical drivel. Be proud to be a hunter and a conservationist. The two go hand in hand.

Comment

I would go with that a bit. But put in a word for us hunters. Thanks, and good luck buddy.

Comment

GOOD HUNTERS ARE CONSERVATIONISTS!!! More so than any of the tree huggers! We understand that true conservation involves proper wildlife management, not some idealistic PC goal to stop killing animals. If all hunting were to stop today we'd be killing animals in the cruelest possible way. Through disease and starvation. Hunters put more time, effort and money into wildlife conservation than any other group on the planet. Anyone that says you can't be a conservationist and a hunter doesn't know what they are talking about. This give you an opportunity to inform them with factual information that most intelligent people can understand. I've know lots of people that did not like hunting personally but understood the benefits both hunting and hunters provide.

Comment

Why would you be a hypocrite? A true wildlife manager needs to keep all options on the table in order to make sure the solutions implemented in our forests are the best solutions for the wildlife, the habitats, and the citizens that use them. Earthy crunchy types automatically whipe a number of options off the table before even starting the process of coming up with a solution. If anything, they would be the hypocrites, not you.

God Bless in your schooling, we need more like you!

Comment

Thank you guys truely! I had no idea that so many shared my views. I hope do you all proud. I have always known the value of good hunters and fishermen and what we can do for the populations of game animals and fish around the world. On a lighter note, I am glad I also have an interest in politics so that I can keep the hypocritical tree huggers at bay.

Comment

I went to college as an Environmental Science/Ecology major. I was very open about being a hunter and fisherman. No one ever gave me crap about it. Maybe that's because I did better on the exams and practicals than they did. All of the professors, even though they didn't hunt, were in complete agreement that hunting is integral to conservation these days.

In most places, we eradicated the major predators. Either we re-stock wolves and cougars everywhere they used to be, or we keep hunting. I think even the PETA people might go for the latter if they tried the former...

Comment

Agreed with Golfing Sportsman answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X