Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys like better for your rifle shooting rest an attached bipod, shooting sticks, backpack, nearby limb or tree, of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys like better for your rifle shooting rest an attached bipod, shooting sticks, backpack, nearby limb or tree, of

What do you guys like better for your rifle shooting rest an attached bipod, shooting sticks, backpack, nearby limb or tree, offhand or whatever?

Ish, you know better than that, shooting sticks and such are for the stay it at home watch the golf ball game crowd!

The best choice is a good old fashion 1 ¼ Military sling shooting in kneeling or sitting position.

Comment

I agree with Clay but Have shot prone as well, resting on my pack. Have also use limbs, tree, offhand, etc. I have learned to Always use a rest when a Buck has my Heart-rate up. So i use whatever is readily available. Avoid offhand shots.

Comment

Not everyone is the shot Clay is. I always use whatever is available. If I have sticks I use them. If possible shoot from prone, sitting,or kneeling position in that order. Last position you should use is unsupported offhand and it's probably used more than any other by people that don't know better. I have made some really long shots shooting offhand but do not recommend them. BTW back in 1970 at Ft Jackson I was on the firing line prac..err..training with an M16. There was IMS 100 firing points and the range tower NCO screwed up. He raised the 300 meter targets while he had us in the offhand position. Only me and 1 other trainee knocked down our target. These are pop up targets that fall if hit for you civilians.

Comment

Attached bipods are the best thing since sliced bread. When I see a deer out at 200 yards I just fold down my harris bipods, lay down, and bag my deer. They are very well built, light weight and you can attach your sling right to them, so you really have nothing to lose... Except about $60 dollars which is a steal.

Comment

I agree with hunt_fish_sleep. I use the Harris Bi-Pod and get a lot of shots past 200 yards ...

Comment

I prefer a bench, but whatever is available. The only time I've used a bi-pod is with a walking varmint rifle. These were long enough for sitting shots - growth too high for prone. Got folding sticks but don't carry them anymore - too much time to pull out and set up. Would be nice if you had a guide or handler with them during safari, though. I don't have a rest on my tree stands but the shots are close enough to fire offhand - most are used for bow anyway. Last shot of last season was off one knee in thigh deep snow - no supports available. Hasty sling has pulled the shots off with some of my rifles but is nice on the ones where it works. Go for any rest, if available.

Comment

I will use a tree or tree branch if it's there.I haven't used sticks of a bi-pod, I never have liked the idea of adding more weight to my gun and the sticks, well that's just something else I have to carry.

Comment

Whatever is readily availible. I prefer bipods though. Often times I do use the sling wrapped arownd my arm.

Comment

I've always used what I have around me like my knees or a branch or tree (don't rest directly on the branch - put some meat between live wood and gun wood/barrel). If I have time, I get down to prone, and hopefully have a pack or something to rest on. Usually it's not that easy and you just have to make the shot.

I just bought a single telescoping shooting stick - like a monopod. I figured it would be faster than 2 wiggly shooting sticks. We'll see how that goes. Haven't used it yet.

I would only consider a bipod on a varmint rifle. Maybe a goat rifle. Probably still wouldn't get one. Tempting sometimes, though.

Comment

Brother Del
                      As a Firearms Instructor, what I teach is the basics for all situations and if you don’t have the basics down then it makes what is at hand much harder to do and far less efficient!

Question and food for thought, why is my Grandson Alex making those 250 yard shots at age 9?

What if you don’t have a rest?!? Then what!!!

Comment

By the way

I like to see someone use a bipod with my 338 Win Mag with my loads. It will eat your lunch!

Comment

All of the above. I'm kind of with Clay on the Bipod I have heard they will bouce a little on hard surfaces like shooting benches. I like shooting off my pack or a bean bag the best.

Comment

i like rifle shooting rest an attached bipod its easier to am at a big game like a elk.

Comment

I say the best rest is the one you have at your disposal when a shot is given. On occassion I carry shooting sticks but have never used them on game. On the range I prefer bean bags.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad