Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7mm or 300 Win Mag for elk, moose, possibly bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7mm or 300 Win Mag for elk, moose, possibly bear?

7mm or 300 Win Mag for elk, moose, possibly bear?

Either loaded with VLDs, XXXs, Partitions, or Scirrocos

Comment

Either will do the job, but I would go with the 300 mag. It doesn't shoot as flat or fast but it does have more energy when it gets to the target.

Comment

.300 all the way.

Comment

First of all, if the 30-06 190 grain has more knock down power and flatter shooting even past 1000 yards than the 7mm Rem Mag 175 grain, the 300 Win Mag by far is better than the 7mm Rem Mag. Larger diameter and heavier bullet and a hell of a lot faster!

While in Alaska for 4 years 86-90 lived in the outdoors and range master for one of the busiest ranges in Alaska, I have read and been told numerous of times by AK State Game Biologists, guides and experienced hunters that a reputable guide for a bear hunt will only allow you to hunt with 30 cal or larger, in fact 30-06 is to be the smallest cartridge allowed period. My #1 prime choice would be the 338 Win Mag hands down and it out performs the 300 Win Mag hands down too. If you going to get belted by recoil, might as well have some bigger on the other end! All the pros say 338 Win Mag is best for Elk because it anchors them on the spot. They have a tendency to head for the roughest and gnarliest spot imaginable when shot!

Been Dar, Seen Dat and Dun Dat!

By the way, in 1980 I sold my 300 Win Mag and never regretted it and I do love my 338 Browning A-Bolt! Only thing I like about the 7mm Rem Mag is the cases make damn good 388 Win Mag cases without trimming and fire forming!!! I also use 300 Win Mag cases too!!!

Comment

PS
            My favorite bullet for 300 Win Mag from Yodel Dogs to Mullies is the Hornady 130 grain soft point sizzling at 3575ish fps!!
            O’YA BABY!!!!!

Comment

rrmont

Question sir, where did you get 300 Win Mag isn’t as fast or as flat as the 7mm Rem Mag? I can push a 165 grainer out just as fast out of the 300 Win Mag at the same velocity as the 139 grain out of the 7mm Weatherby Mag!

This Ol’Sandbagger wants to know!

Comment

By the way, the 7mm is overrated do to advertising!

WHEN i WAS GOING TO REPLACE MY 25-06 LAST YEAR, I was leaning heavily on the 7mm Rem Mag. It's no punk with light weight bullets!!

Comment

Whichever you shoot better. If you're buying one, maybe the .300 because it has more 'upside'.

Comment

I would Have to go with the 300 win mag, but both will do the job with proper shot placement.

Comment

If your not going after Black Bear 300 will do. Those Alaska Browns, nonresident hunters think they have gold specs in the dung. No, thats 7mm bullets Sir!

Comment

.3oo. Yes please.

Comment

Clay - regarding your dog and deer load - HOLY SH!T!!!

When I get some money and spare time, I'm coming to hang out. Deal with it.

Comment

If you've got a .30-06, save your money, you've got what you need.

Comment

can you shoot the 300 win mag or 7mm better

thats what matters

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad