Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IS A 357 A BIG ENOUGH BACK UP GUN WHILE BOW HUNTIN A HOG

IS A 357 A BIG ENOUGH BACK UP GUN WHILE BOW HUNTIN A HOG

I would prefer a 41 mag or bigger. But whatever you use get heavy bullets that will penetrate well. Hard cast semi-waddcutters are good. No hollowpoints please.

Comment

A 357 with heavyweight hard bullets will kill a big hog but he might chew on you before he dies.

Comment

I believe it all has to do with placement. You hit him in his vitals, or a head shot, he is going to die. Also, im guessing you mean a gun for if you walk up on an animal and it is still alive? If so than, yes this gun should do.

Comment

I’ll answer your question with a real story. When I was stationed at Eielson AFB Alaska I was one of 7 range masters for recreational shooting. When shooters came out with their 454 Casulls and talk about a fist full of dynamite! I would walk up and ask, excuse me Sir, are you going to use that for bear protection and they all said yes. Then I would say, did you know it’s both State and Federal Law to have the front sight removed and your having great difficulty hitting your target yet alone the kill zone of a charging bear? They would look at the revolver front sight that look like a plow from a John Deer tractor and look at me. After a couple of moments of fright of purchasing this piece of $1000 plus piece they ask why? You’re going to shoot a bear with that right! Ya!! That bear will swipe that gun out of your hands and that front sight is hell on the hemorrhoids!!

So to answer your question, the best backup is a good rifle!!

For handgun? 44 Rem Mag 250 grain Cast 21 grain Hercules 2400

Comment

A lot will depend on the ammo you use. I would still prefer a .41 mag or bigger(I went to the .41 after being attacked by a hog and the .357 I had turned him, but didn't stop him).
            If you stick with the .357 look far a round that will penetrate like a flat nosed round. These pack a lot of punch and will penetrate deeper than a hollow point to get to the vitals if you have a bad angle on the animal.
            Nothing will make up for proper shot placement though.

Comment

It is big enough if you make a Good Shot with your bow. If you make a poor shot...maybe not.

Comment

The only two hogs I have ever killed was with a .357 and I think I was either shooting Sierra 125 gr or perhaps 158 gr. bullets. Either way the shots were only about 15 feet straight from my deer stand in a tree to the pig's head. It was the only revolver I owned at the time. Today I use a .44 mag for everything.

Comment

I've killed several over the years with a .357 and heavy cast bullets. As all the above have said, shot placement is a must. That is also a requirement for the .44 mag a well. A hacked off hog is a dangerous animal even if it isn't a large one. Also pay close attention to your states bow hunting rules. Many do not allow for carrying any sort of firearm while hunting during an archery only season.

Comment

yes

Comment

yes a 357 is fine, just make sure you know how to handle it quickly if you need to, also make sure you have the right ammo.

Comment

It really depends on how fast you can run and how good you are at shooting over your shoulder!

357 is fine with heavy bullets. As stated above you don't need it if you shoot well with your bow and give said piggy time to expire.

Comment

Yes put a couple rounds in him and it should work nicely.

Comment

A 357 should work with good hard heavy bullets. Shot placement is key with any gun. The .357 was invented in part by the father of most magnum cartridges Elmer Keith for hunting, and to penetrate the body armor and car doors of the period. While hogs are hard headed, I don't think they are harder headed than the steel on a 1930 ford. Something bigger may be better, but the size and weight of larger magnums make them somewhat less practicle to carry for back up use, the .357 with the right loads can dish out plenty of pain and penetration.

Comment

Federal makes a good 180gr. cast bullet for backup. I'd feel fine with it with a minimum 5" barrel. As others said bigger is better but if all you have is the 357 I wouldn't feel intimidated at all.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad