Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best gun to use on a Bull Elk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best gun to use on a Bull Elk?

what is the best gun to use on a Bull Elk?

The one you can shoot "MOP"!!!
    The smallest recommended cartridge is the 25-06, since I have a 338 Win Mag I can hit “MOP” at 700 yards will be my top pick backed up with my 30-06 03-A3 and Remington 700. Might even toss in my M1 Garand, can I get an “AMEN”! If the weather gets nasty, my Swedish 6.5x55 will do!!!

Comment

Aren't you tyrell? Same icon anyway.

Comment

I would say anything bigger than 30-06 but I feel a .7mm or 300 is a great size, us a 150 grain bullet and your in business.

Comment

Tim I will tell you you need to pick a new icon because a trouble memeber named tyrell uses the same one. If you want answers you need to switch. Sorry but someone ruined that one for you...

Comment

So far the best I have is my custom Sako Finnbear Magnum action .338 Win Mag, McMillen stock, Shilen 24" #3 contour barrel, worked over Leupold rings (8-40's), Leupold 3.5-10, trued action, lapped lugs, Timney trigger, Pachmyer Decelerator, Murray sling and even though it is over twenty years old it did not cost the equivalent of 14 grand. However it does not have the number of cartridges engraved on the magazine so I have to count them or quit pushing them in when it will accept no more. Always a MOA and a MOP gun which has killed everything from jackrabbits and prairie dogs to bull elk. Maybe a moose of buffalo one day if I can ever draw a permit.

Comment

Obviously the last line should state "moose or buffalo". The whole rig weighs 9.5 pounds and my kid and I shoot it a lot. Anyway I highly recommend the .338 Win Mag for elk and maybe the Edge is even better, perhaps I can report back on that one of these days.

Comment

.300 Winchester.

Comment

To answer your question wallofsam....No. They are brothers, in fact twins. They just have the same icon.

Comment

A 30/06 would be my minimum.

Comment

I took mine with a 30-06. I wouldn't go much smaller than that, maybe .308 or comparable would be okay. Remember, elk go 600-800 lbs, sometimes bigger, if you shoot a light deer gun normally you could have real problems with elk even if what you are shooting is technically legal (in CO, the minimum is .24 caliber).

Comment

I've taken 6 bulls over the years and all with my .270 Remington. Granted, I'm shooting 40 to 70 yds. but that rifle has stopped them in their tracks. I shoot a grand slam rnd. through that gun. A hard hitting round.

Comment

I agree with most above...30/06 is probably min.

Comment

My top pick will be 30-06!

Comment

My top pick will be 30-06!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                                by FirstBubba
                                I normally purchase scopes to fill needs but I'm not above grabbing a deal, scope or gun, if it shows up.
                                Today, 05:41 PM
                              • How do you fly ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Good morning everyone
                                by DakotaMan
                                You really have little need for a long, heavy-for-caliber bullet if all your shots are within that range PH. Another thing to think about is that bullets...
                                Today, 05:39 PM
                              • Good morning everyone
                                by fitch270
                                Looks like most of the regular crew is on right now, what's everyone's plan for the day? I'm packing up gear and headed on the hill to shoot some rifles...
                                08-01-2020, 08:52 AM
                              • Reply to How do you fly ?
                                by crm3006
                                I either buy the rifle and scope as a combination, with a specific pairing or purpose in mind, or, if I find a really good deal on a scope, buy it to...
                                Today, 05:09 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X